Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cloudy water
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
kissaragi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)16:45    Post subject: Cloudy water Reply with quote

I've been having outbreaks of white cloudy water over night recently, I assumed it was just a bacterial bloom and after syphoning the gravel the water cleared. It's now happened about 5 times in the last 2 weeks. Even right after a partial water change water change.

The other thing I've noticed is that my apple snails now seem to be going to the surface for air a lot, which hadn't happened at all until recently. The fish don't seem to be gasping or stressed tho.

It's a 100l planted tank with around 65watts of lighting and stocked with 3 small goldfish (I know the tank is too small for goldfish and I will be finding them a new home in a nice pond in the spring!)
ammonia and nitrite are zero
nitrate is around 10ppm
co2 is 20-30ppm
pH is around 6.7 but I haven't tested that for a few days, so I'm not sure

I've just had a thought after writing that. I recently bought a python no spill, could that be bringing up bacteria from the substrate and causing the cloudy water?
melissaann
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the python was causing it, the floating particles should settle out after a little while. Is the cloudy water persistent?
kissaragi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it went away in about 24 hours, so it must be that. Ill stop using the python to clean the gravel.

Was only after writing that that it occurred to me the cloudy water started at the same time I bought the python, doh!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: