Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
euthanasia?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)10:42    Post subject: euthanasia? Reply with quote

ever since about 2-3 months ago, my dwarf gouramis haven't been very well. at first, they just didn't go to the surface and just stayed on the bottom but about a month and a half ago, they'd lost most of their colour and their appetites, hiding in the tank most of the time. I tried medicating them for internal parasites, but that didn't do anything. since they've barely eaten in the past while, I think it may be best to put them down, after being like this for so long. they've been through a lot (one full cycle and half a cycle) and I don't think they'll be living the 4 years that is typical for dwarf gouramis. so I'm asking, does it look like a curable disease or should I just euthanize them? I'd like a second opinion on a topic like euthanasia. below are some pictures.

tank parameters are in my profile.

Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decision to put an animal down has to be yours and yours alone.
However -- I am a huge animal lover and personally believe that if an animal is suffering it is far wiser and caring to humanely put that animal down than to let it suffer. If you've tried to help it (and it sounds like you have) and it truly seems that the fish is sick/hurting to you then I would put it down. Others here may disagree saying that you need to do more to save it or let it die on its own (which, IMO, is an awful decision for the animal's sake) ... you know what you can do and what you can't so you have to make the decision.
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm asking if there's any more chance to save it, not whether I should euthanize or let nature take it's course. does it look like there's anything that can still be done?

melissaann
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some recent deaths that I've attributed to fish TB, the fish completely stops eating and slowly wastes away. It took me a while to diagnose it. (See the article on diseases for symptoms) I did some more research and its been said that TB may be responsible for a lot of fish "mystery" deaths, and that not all fish display the same symptoms, but not eating is the most common. I don't think it can be cured, isolation and euthanasia is recommended. I have my sick fish in quarantine, I haven't had the heart to kill her yet because none of the methods I've read about seem to be guaranteed to be painless (who can say?)
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: