Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tankmates for dwarf gourami
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
kskipper
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)13:16    Post subject: Tankmates for dwarf gourami Reply with quote

I love the dwarf gourami and was wondering what fish I can put in the same 29Gallon tank with them. I'm still cycling the tank and am starting to make up my wish list for fish. I don't have a clue what I want and saw a gourami in a friends tank and thought it was cute. They have a weather loach in there with the gourami and they are doing fine. However I don't wany a loach in my tank.

kskipper
turk359
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 55 gallon that just finished cycling yesterday. Heading out to buy fish this evening.

I plan to go after a pair of dwarf gourami's as well. I'm thinking about putting the following in my 55:

5 Neon Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
2 Sunburst Platys
2 Swordtails
2 Dwarf Gourami's

and I'm thinking about a loach of some sort...maybe a clown or yo-yo. From what I read most Gourami's are OK with other species but two male gourami's do not get along well as they are similar to betta's. If you are going for a community tank then you should be able to get away with most livebearers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can keep lots of fish with them. Tetras, rasboras, danios, cory cats... You can only keep one male. And you can't keep them with other related fish like other gourami and bettas. What fish are you interested in?
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had gouramis with cherry barbs, zebra dannios, harliquin rasboras, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, corry cats, a hoplo cat. All were fine together. I wouldn't get an agressive fish though as gouramis are prone to just hanging out and not being the most active swimmers. Beta's are out of the questoin. I also wouldn't get any snales as gouramis LOVE to eat snailes.
kskipper
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fish am I interested in..... I seem to like all of them I see in the LFS but then find out how big they are going to get and wish my tank was bigger and I've never had a fish.

I know I don't like the weather loach because it looks like an eel. That's the only one I've seen that I don't like.

I'm still looking...

kskipper
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to the Gallery and check threw various species. see which ones like similar water paramiters to the dward gourami and what people who have had them have said about them. also you can see what size they get.
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

turk359 wrote:
I got a 55 gallon that just finished cycling yesterday. Heading out to buy fish this evening.

I plan to go after a pair of dwarf gourami's as well. I'm thinking about putting the following in my 55:

5 Neon Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
2 Sunburst Platys
2 Swordtails
2 Dwarf Gourami's

and I'm thinking about a loach of some sort...maybe a [b]clown or yo-yo.[/b] From what I read most Gourami's are OK with other species but two male gourami's do not get along well as they are similar to betta's. If you are going for a community tank then you should be able to get away with most livebearers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Go with the yo yo, as clowns can get to be a foot long. Even though that is not as totally likely as it would be in nature it is always best to err on the side of caution. Yo yos are nice fish as well and you could get a larger group of them.

kskipper, I would probably get two females to go with the male, since your tank is large enough. That's if you could find females.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: