Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dwarf Gourami - Pregnant? Sick?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ankit
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)1:35    Post subject: Dwarf Gourami - Pregnant? Sick? Reply with quote

I have a dwarf gourami in one of my 10 gallon tanks that is looking a bit out of the ordinary. The biggest concern is that part of it body bulges out, closer to the front of the body.

It also has a spot near the back where skin is missing...

There aren't any real predators in this tank - just 2 other gourami's, an oto, and an african dwarf frog (not clawed). I have some java fern and anacharis plants spread out throughout the tank as well.

Anyway, any ideas on what this could be? The conditions are not those in which gourami's usually breed (low water, less filtration, 80F, etc.) and so even though I don't want it to be true, I think it may be sick or attacked by another gourami. I do have another tank with smaller fish I can transfer it over to, which is also a 10 gallon with identical equipment and plants, just different fish.

Any thoughts?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwarf Gourami don't get pregnant, but they are very prone to Dropsy, the symptoms of this are they become bloated, eventualy the scales stick out and they die.

Is this bulging on both sides of the fish, or just near the wound? If it's an all round bloatedness, I would think Dropsy, If it is near a wound, it could well be a bacterial infection set in, or it could be a burst tumour.

When you say the skin is missing, what sort of area, any chance of a picture.

Sorry to sound so pessamistic.

I wouldn't transfer this fish, to another tank unless it was a seperate hospital tank with no other tank mates.

What are your water parameters (Results of test kits)?

Are the other Gourami also Dwarfs, are they all male?

Bob
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try feeding it boiled, shelled, and mashed peas as a pretty much last ditch effort
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: