Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
looking to kill my snails...
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jimmy campbell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)14:47    Post subject: looking to kill my snails... Reply with quote

I'm currently moving all my plants from a temporary tank to my new 72 gal tank. I have quite a few snails in the temp tank. I'm currently picking the snails off the plants but I fear Ill miss one and they will start to lay eggs in my new tank. I want this tank snail free! is there any product I can use to kill the snails if I notice 1 or more in my new tank?

Thanks,

Jimmy

P.S. I have someone who will take all the other snails and feed them to their puffer fish. I'm just looking to kill the odd few if they get transfered to the new tank. Id rather try to scoop them out to give to my friend.
iba
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link.

http://www.aquariaplants.com/plantdipsbaths.htm
jimmy campbell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I'm going to use that from now on when I buy plants.

I have added some plants to my new tank. Is there anything @ my LFS that I can buy to treat the tank if I notice a few in there? If there is a few Ill try to pick them out but I think I may be too late @ that point. I notice that my Quick Cure (Ick medication) says "do not use on snails or invertebretes" will this kill them?
Senor
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a product called "had a snail" which I have never used but I've heard mixed results. Maybe you could borrow a loach or two from someone until you can't find anymore.
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it's a 50-50 change when using ick medicine on tanks with inverts. if you want the snails to die, remove your carbon filter. you can put it back in like a week.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I'm confused here. What does a carbon filter have to do with keeping snails alive? I have snails in my tank with no carbon filter. ????
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbon cancells out ick medicines effect. so if you don't have carbon in your filter pad, the ick medicine will work and the snails will die.
jimmy campbell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise. I bought the "had-a-snail" and removed the carbon from my filter. The 1st dose did not work so I dosed again, it killed my 2 rummynose! I changed 50% of the water and dosed again. IMO this product does work but not 100%. I still have some snails in my tank. I dosed it for the 2nd time yesterday and any snails I see I scoop out with a net and throw them outside. I have 2 clown loaches in another tank waiting to go into this tank but I'm afraid to put them in and kill them. How aggressive are the clown loaches with eating snails? The clown loaches will be the only 2 fish in the tank till I get this problem resolved. Should I do a water change before adding the fish back in? and put my carbon back into the filter before adding in the fish?
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toss a couple of slices of cucumber in your tank at night, and when you wake up in the morning, I'll guarantee you'll have found a lot of snails. Then you just remove the cucumber with the snails attached and viola... snail problem taken care of without adding a bunch of "snake oil" products that kill your fish. From there, when you get new plants, look them over really well, and give them an ice water bath before placing them in your tank.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: