Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to site, first aquarium
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
LunarFlame
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnum V8 wrote:
I certainly don't want to harm the fish. Would doing a large volume water change keep the cycle going and at the same time keep the fish from dying? I did an ammonia test this morning and the result was .50 ppm. I'm not too sure what that means. The research I did revealed that the ammonia level should/would peak, then begin to drop, and likewise with the nitrite. So, with the .50 ppm ammonia reading, should I do a water change now, or would that interrupt the cycle?

Large water changes are your best friend right now.

It will not interrupt the cycle and at the same time it will remove the buildup of harmful ammonia. You'll want to do these as needed. As soon as there is any reading at all of ammonia on your test kit, do a water change and test again after a few hours.

Any amount of detectable ammonia is dangerous.
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll do that. But how can the ammonia breakdown into nitrite if it is consistently being removed?
Barracuda324
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice tank Cool

WHO DEY, WHO DEY, WHO DEY THINK GONNA BEAT THEM BENGALS?!
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not going to remove all of the amonia, you are just diluting it. If you do a 50% water change, you will then have about half as much amonia in the same amount of water, making it a little less toxic. Your not cycling so the amonia breaks up, but so the bacteria gets established which breaks up the amonia.
brisbaneace
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am brand new to this this forum. What a great find! I Googled Aqua Sun to find out a bit about my new filter, and came up with Via Aqua filters which are obviously another name for the same filters, which led me to this forum I have been studying post after post for the past hour and a half, all very interesting and helpful as well. Even though I have been a keeper and breeder of many different species over the past 30 plus years. I am always happy to learn more and more from other peoples experiences. Great site! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: