Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Rent a loach - the snails are invading!
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.20(Wed)20:13    Post subject: Rent a loach - the snails are invading! Reply with quote

I've had a snail explosion in my tank. Snail traps haven't really been effective and using a snail killer chemical isn't an option. My betta eats snails and snail eggs sometimes, and when I gravel vac I try my best to suck up as many of the smaller snails as I can get to, but what a pain...it's totally a losing battle.

I don't have any room in my tank to permanently add another fish. But I wondered if there's anyone in the Calgary area who has a hungry kuhli loach I could borrow? I really need to get rid of these snails!

(A person could get rich starting a "rent a loach" business...)
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.09.21(Thu)3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to deal with snails is to add a bit less food into the system over the long term.

Snails only really become a problem in an overfeed tank. In the short term trapping will help but the overfeeding is the main issue.

Maybe I am a Luddite but I wouldn't use any chemicals to deal with this problem.

If you want to keep Loaches because you like them, fine, but people shouldn't add Loaches to tanks just to sort out snails.

Bob
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.09.21(Thu)13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't use chemicals unless you feel that it is necessary for the health of your fish. if you feed less and suck out any uneaten food, the snails would have no food left of their own and die although this would take some time. also, since the inhabitant is a betta, how large is this tank? I know the loach will be temporary but if the tank is just too small, it's just bad for the loach, even if it is temporary.

menagerie mom
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.21(Thu)13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that overfeeding can contribute to a snail population explosion, but snails don't eat just leftover food. They also eat algae and other stuff that grows on the surfaces in your tank, so they are very difficult to eliminate once you have them. I resorted to hand picking them every couple of weeks, and now I have another tank housing clown loaches, and they love snails I toss in there from my other tank! Very Happy

In case you haven't read this, there is a sticky about snails at the top of this forum that you should read:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=41
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.09.21(Thu)14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that leftover food will lead to snail break out Wink
But mark this, nutrients in within the tank are up-taken by algae, fungus and microorganisms, that will multiply very fast and non-stop. That is a freshly available food for snails to go crazy. To reduce nutrients for microorganisms and algae, introduce live plants like Java moss to compete with the algae/microorganisms for nutrients.

Also try to remove snails manually with every water change.

Kind regards, Dusko.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.21(Thu)18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the sticky (hence trying the snail traps already). Yes, I know chemicals aren't a good idea (I already said as much); yes, I already remove the snails manually with every water change (I also already said as much).

I don't believe overfeeding is the problem, but I suppose it's still possible. I feed quite sparingly. The tank is very clean. Many of the snails are starving to death, but apparently not before they manage to lay more eggs. The population has simply gotten out of control (perhaps using the word "explosion" was a mistake).

DF Bobo wrote:
since the inhabitant is a betta, how large is this tank?

The betta is one inhabitant, not the inhabitant. 10 gallon community aquarium.

Dusko wrote:
introduce live plants like Java moss

The tank is already quite well planted. I'd be wary about introducing java moss to it, I have no desire to have to fight to keep the moss from taking over the entire tank.

Anyway, borrowing a loach was just an idea; after all, it is one of the recommendations in the aforementioned sticky. I don't have the time to sit for hours plucking the snails out manually and cannot undertake a teardown, so borrowing a snail-eating fish for a little while appeared to be the only real option left.
menagerie mom
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.21(Thu)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the people that took the time and thought to reply to your post were honestly trying to help - I know I was. You can listen or not to the suggestions, then you decide what to do based on your personal situation.

As far as hand picking the snails, it really doesn't take hours. After you've done it a couple of times you will see your snail population decreasing dramatically, especially if you cut back a little on the amount you feed. Yes, you have to keep doing it, but I just look at it as small part of my tank maintenance. Maybe you'll find something that works better for you, though.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll find a solution. Smile
utah2bearsplaying
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)21:37    Post subject: SNAILS I buy them, need them for my puffers. Reply with quote

let me know if you need help in trapping them. I have used a piece of leaf lettuce just hanging in the tank for two days and removing the piece with them. Utah2bearsplaying@yahoo.com
Thank you!
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: