Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Storing a tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Diggy5
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)0:30    Post subject: Storing a tank Reply with quote

Unfortunaly due to some pretty bad financial issues I'm going to have to shut my tanks down and move in with my in-laws, who forbid us from having the tanks inside their house. I've already contacted my LFS about selling the fish to them and they are fine with it, but are there any tips I need to know about storing the tanks? They will be in the garage for about 6 months, through out summer in Texas so I refuse to leave the fish in it. Any help is apperciated!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your substrate in plastic bags, and if you have some of those large plastic bins, I'd place the bags of substrate in one of those so they don't get torn open on accident. It is OK if it's still a bit wet.

Do the same thing for any rocks, wood etc. you may have.

As for the tank, wash it out real well with a 19:1 water/bleach solution and then dry it out prior to storing it. Do the same with your filters.

You should be good to go. When it's time to set them up again, they are all clean and ready. The only thing you should do then is to give the substrate a good rinse, like when you bought it.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate times, but that just means the new year can only get better. Not to mention, now you have time to read and research what kind of cool tanks you are going to set up when the time is right.

Hope this helps...
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: