Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how long does fishless cycling take?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
cherrybarb06
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)21:13    Post subject: how long does fishless cycling take? Reply with quote

On average, how long does fishless cycling take? If you've tried it how was your experience? Do you have any pointers or mistakes I should avoid (even though I've already ran into a few Rolling Eyes )?
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used prawns in my fishless cycling. and I also used Seachem Stability. took me 8 days to finish cycling my tank.
Funky Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah_Hup how do you know when you have finshed cycling?!?!
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great reference: http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php

You have to test the water for spikes in ammonia, then nitrites, and when both of those have happened and then returned to zero, you're done. The only way you'll know though is if you're testing regularly.

Also, remember that once you're done, you have to add fish slowly because your bacteria colony has to adjust to the new bioload. If you increase the load too quickly, your tank will have to minicycle and your fish will suffer ammonia poisoning even after all your hard work.
Elliott
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

a great and fast way to cycle youre tank is to use filter media and water from a friends or relatives tank. Or if you don't know anyone with a tank you could ask at you lfs for some established media. Another good way is to use snails, they can live through anything and they poop like hell. Shaves nearlly all the weeks off your cycling.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: