Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Possible Fungus, need help
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tylermb20
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)21:12    Post subject: Possible Fungus, need help Reply with quote

Hi, I am have had about 5 fish die in the past 2 weeks because of a sickness, at first I thought it was ich because I introuced snails into my tank but now I have a feeling it is fin rot beause I looked at a dead fish and the back fin is rot to the body and also the other ones are showing very small signs of it aswell.

Nitrate Level - 20 ppm
Nitrite Level - .25
pH Level - 7
Tank size - 40 gallons

2 Bahla Sharks (dead)
1 Bascostimas ( dead , and sorry about the spelling)
2 Silver dollars
4 snails

Tank has been running for well over 4 years so it is cycled.

I have done small water changes (15%) in the last week every day because there was a lot of fish poop , I am wondering if anyone has any other thoughts or can confirm that this is most likley a fangus or bacteria, and also what I can do to correct this problem before ALL of my fish die.

Thank you for your help.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say this, but you were overstocked with fish who should be in far larger tanks.

Balas should grow to well above 12 inches (Unless they are stunted), they are a shoaling fish so really need to be in a very large tank, a friend of mine recently re-housed a shoal of these, FROM a 7ftx2ftx2ft tank as they were getting too big.

Silver Dollor also need a larger tank than 40 gallons.

When you keep potentially large fish in a tank that is too small, they release growth hormones into the tank, these hormones and other chemicals we can't measure have a long term affect on the fish, the slow or stop growing, become stunted, this leads to stress, which in turn leads to shortened lifes through all sorts of illnesses (Like fungus, fin rot etc).

In a cycled and well stocked tank, you should always have 0 Nitrite, Nitrite is a very toxic substance.

Do you have any other fish in there apart from what was listed (Plec or other hidden Catfish) and can you find out the correct spelling for the other fish.

I would increase your water changes, as Fungus and Finrot are signs of poor water quality.

Bob
tylermb20
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , I have nothing else alive except for a feeder fish which the Bahla was suppose to eat but was to big 2 years ago.
tylermb20
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got my Nitrite down to 0 now, Nitrate down to 10 from 20 , the fish are showing small signs of getting better so here hoping they will progress quickly back to good health, I just wanted to know should I continue my 15 % water change/day or back it off since I reached a healthy amount of nitrite and nitrate?
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fish has a fungus, I think yu should give it a salt water bath. That
tylermb20
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serkan wrote:
If the fish has a fungus, I think yu should give it a salt water bath. That
tylermb20
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still having problems with this, I changed the water like I was suppose to , it is now perfer in condition, I have given the fish medication for the fungus but the fin rot is still progressing , what else can I do ? I cannot give salt because they are silver dollars.
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a page for you with the problem you are describing and the solution to the problem. I really hope your fish makes it because I love silver dollars.

http://www.strictlyaquariums.com.au/diseases.html
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you vacuuming your gravel when you do water changes? A lot of rotting waste builds up in the gravel and it will continue releasing toxins. Don't take the gravel out and wash it -- just vacuum it. Ask us if you're not sure how. Good luck saving those fish!
tylermb20
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thats what I do when I change the water, I have most of the waste removed, also for medication should it be fungus or bacterial medication?.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: