Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hexagon tanks, discuss?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)23:40    Post subject: Hexagon tanks, discuss? Reply with quote

I've been reading here and there how unideal hexes are and am curious for the differing opinions as to why.

I bought a 35gal hex that was on sale before I knew how much more difficult and unforgiving they are. I have learned:

-- They are harder to maintain, unless you have monkey arms or like being wet to the armpit. We bought an expensive gripper stick thingie and it helps but is hard to use. I'm going to start doing decor work only during water changes when the water level is lower.

-- Your stocking choices are limited due to less swimming space. We've got 4 platies in it right now, who are actively making the most of the vertical space, and recovering from ich without any losses in life or energy. What do you think of platies in a hex? What else would you recommend?
----- I just read in the goldfsh forum that hexes are a poor choice for goldfish. (If the size were large enough, of course.) Is that because of the lack of horizontal current?
----- We have plans to add a small school of bronze cories (3 or 4?) Will they have enough floor space to be happy?

-- Decorating to the top of the tank with silk takes expensive, hard-to-find ubertall plants. We've played with ideas for leveling but no winning ideas yet, mostly because of the lack of floor space.
Patricia Black
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 35 gallon Hex. tank with different colored tiger barbs, cories and one pleco. Tried several different types of fish but the tiger barbs worked best. Also had cherry barbs included but the tigers got bigger and needed the room so I moved the cherries to another tank. The tank is in my kitchen near the water source and I use the python out the back door for water changes. I've found long pieces of driftwood works well for decoration, stand it on it's end in back of tank. cover one piece of glass with black backing to hide pump. I wouldn't buy another tall tank. Long tanks are better.
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin has a beautiful 50G hexagonal tank, and he keeps cichilids, loaches and a pleco and khuli inside. Your choice of fish are hardly limited.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: