Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new fish in my 10g.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tommy123
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

Just quckily read your last post, and angels are too big for a 10 gallon. I have 1 in my 26.5 gallon and this for me is bare minimum, and if I could I would put him in something bigger. Also the give off a lot of waste....the are very greedy feeders and like a meaty varied diet. Mine I have kept in my 26 gallon grow to about 4 inches, but I'm sure in a bigger environment the would get even bigger.

again to big for a 10 gallon
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy123 wrote:
hi,

Just quckily read your last post, and angels are too big for a 10 gallon. I have 1 in my 26.5 gallon and this for me is bare minimum, and if I could I would put him in something bigger. Also the give off a lot of waste....the are very greedy feeders and like a meaty varied diet. Mine I have kept in my 26 gallon grow to about 4 inches, but I'm sure in a bigger environment the would get even bigger.

Actually we're talking about a 55g now! Yes, indeed angels are way too big for a 10g. Razz
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

brett_fishman wrote:
well, I made a new list:

new list:
-8 yoyo loaches
-2-4 angels
-6 hatchetfish
-8 harlequin rasboras
-1 or 2 small plecos (5" tops) (maybe clown or bristlenose)

this list is good, I don't see any conflicts or bio-load issues there..

I know that works out to be around 100" of fish, but that doesn't matter..
the hatchets and rasboras don't produce much waste at all, the loaches and angels don't make much either..the plecos would probably end up making the most waste.

that, plus I'll be performing 4 gallon water changes every 3-4 days, as well as running two filters.

-brett.

I have heard dozens of stories about yoyo loaches nipping the fins of Angelfish. I personally wouldnt risk it at all.

With that stocking, I would go 2 Angels. You may have to be careful though, since rasboras stay quite small. Make sure you get the smallest angels you can get

I would also get 1 pleco, since 2 may have territory disputes.

4 gallons isnt enough. You need to do at least 10%. I do 30-40% on all my fish tanks every week.

What filtration are you getting? It doesn't matter how much filtration you have if you take into things other than bio load. Amount of poop produced does not necessarily equal bioload, and you have to consider that 8 fully grown yoyo loaches and 2 fully grown angels won't exactly be as small as you seem to think they are. To put things into perspective, for my upcoming moderately stocked 180g tank, I will have enough filtration to easily cover a 500g tank (sump filled with a hell of a lot of matrix, and an FX5).
NancyD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyingfish, both fishbase & loaches,com give the size of yoyos as 6 inches SL (standard length, without tail). And like I said I've seen them that size, twice in the last month or so. They were likely "trade-ins" that outgrew their tanks, they can have long lives.
brett_ I'm glad you're able to get a bigger tank for them, they'll be happier with more room & more friends. I tried to keep clown loaches with angels once but the loaches scared the angels at night. Lots of thrashing around but no visible damage so I'd advise caution otherwise it looks OK. Good luck.
Nancy
MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy123 wrote:
hi,

well it depends on the size of the Angelfish. I have a 10 gallon tank and I have an angelfish in I, but he is very small, around 2-3 inches. But in a few weeks to another month I'm gunna either get a 29g or a 55g ( problem is I would have no place for a 55g...) for right now, he is doing great.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: