Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
can I do this
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
loveforfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)16:10    Post subject: can I do this Reply with quote

I found a fish I really really like in the store today and its got the perfect color and personality. I have an empt 10 gallon tank at home and I was wondering if I cleaned it out real good and filled it with water and a mix of prime dechlorantion and ammonia block and put a few air stones in there if I could keep him alive in there for a few weeks while my tank cycles.

I would think if I did a water change morning and night until my tank is ready and kept pime in his changes that he would do OK until hes ready for his new tank.

some of you might get mad that I would even think that way but I'm still a begginer and with what I know I would think that this could work.

what do you think?
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the tank has to cycle and most likely the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels will kill the fish. Your going to just have to wait, a 10gal should cycle in a couple weeks so see if the fish store can hold it or ask if they will get any more in. What kind of fish is it anyway?
loveforfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a dwarf puffer.

the 10 gallon tank is not being cycled, I am currently cycleing my 55 gallon but I was just wondering if I could keep him in a non cycled tank for a while with water changes very often while my big tank is cycleing.

the reason I wonder is because we have a betta in a 1 galon bowl and we have had him for a year now and he doesn't have a filter or air stones, and he does exellent, so I was thinking if I keep air stones and prime in the water a fish could live it out for a few weeks.

but if it would damage the fish to bad I would rather just wait and have a healthy one
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you'd want to put the puffer in a 55 gallon... puffers tend to be territorial and not the greatest community fish... that ten gallon would be a good home for one or two of them alone though, if you get a filter and a heater =)
loveforfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh I think I will do that,

will 2 puffers get along or are they single fish,

but you don't think he would be OK in that tank with out a filter for 2 weeks if I changed the water daily?
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, do not subject any fish to an uncycled tank. Cycle the tank first and then get the puffer(s)...they will live much better, healthier lives if you do everything properly. If they sell before your tank is cycled, your LFS can get you more if you ask them.
loveforfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I did that and he lived, when I put him into the healthy tank would he revive, or would he contaminate my good tank anyway?
Corkiddy
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put him in a healthy tank, he might not revive... I agree with everyone else, it would be much better to wait for the 10g tank to cycle since it definitely would not take as long as the 55g tank.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

loveforfish wrote:
if I did that and he lived, when I put him into the healthy tank would he revive, or would he contaminate my good tank anyway?

You need to understand what happens to a fish that is subjected to a cycling period with high ammonia levels. Among other bad things, the ammonia attacks and corrodes the fish's gill tissue, and that damage is irreversible, meaning that it will never be able to breath right again. The weakest fish will just die during the cycle. The strongest ones will survive it, but their health and life expectancy are now severely compromised and they will almost certainly never get to celebrate another birthday. That's a very sad way to start the hobby, and that's why we strongly urge everyone to do the fishless cycle...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: