Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Rosy barb problem
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Gini
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)3:50    Post subject: Rosy barb problem Reply with quote

I just purchased 5 male Rosy barbs yesterday. Last night, one up and died. This morning, another one has 3/4 of its tail missing. The only "agressive" fish I have in my 55-gal is 2 male, and 1 female Australian Rainbow. All the other fish are small (less than 2") friendly community fish - definitely not agressive. I can only suspect the rainbows because of their size, but I have watched them, and they completly ignore the barbs, and the rest of the fish as well. I am tempted to return the four living ones and one dead one to Petsmart tomorrow for a hopeful refund/exchange. They looked active and lively in the store tank. Can barbs attack each other? I thought five would be enough, but maybe I should have more like 7-8. Any thoughts or experiences similar to mine? Confused
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us have shared your experience, even if fish look healthy, and are well kept in the LFS, it is an extremly stressful thing for a fish to be caught, transported, and put in a new tank, it is not unusual for some to just give up and die. It is very common to see damaged and split fins etc.

They are small easily stressed and damaged live animals.

If we all started returning every batch of fish, that had an early fatality, all LFS's would go out of business in days.

As long as your other fish are healthy, I would accept the single loss (It would be different if they all looked poorly).

When you buy fish, you need to make sure you are buying healthy stock. You also need to be careful in your transportation routine (Temperature, not to much banging about etc).

When the new fish are home, you need to make sure the water in the bag reaches the same temp as the tank, and you should have some idea of the differences of the pH in your tank water from your LFS and give the fish time to acclimatise (So many fish die from sudden changes of both temp and pH).

You do this by floating the bag in the tank for half an hour or so, then open the bag and roll it down like a sock so it floats, and then add some tank water slowly, depending on pH this can take a couple of hours. Finally you let the new fish swim away (Preferably with dimmed lighting).

The best thing you can really do is invest in a basic quarentine tank. This is a basic tank with a heater, airstone, some cover etc, you would keep your new fish in this for a week or so, to make sure they are happy and healthy before you add them (And any possible diseases) into your main tank.

Bob
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also add that most Barbs (although I believe Rosy's are less so) are fin nippers and slightly more aggressive than other community fish. I have no personal experience but am looking forward to getting some Barbs in the future so I've been researching them. I have found that people say the larger the school you have the less likely for fin nipping. If you can add three or four more I would suggest you do that unless someone here with more knowledge nixes what I just said.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: