Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
amount of chemistry to add at water change
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sarahandherfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)10:45    Post subject: amount of chemistry to add at water change Reply with quote

I am using Wardley's 3-in-1 7.0ph water conditioner. I have a 30 gallon tank. I do a 20% water change once a week.

My question is about the amount of chemistry to add to the water I'm replacing. The directions on the bottle state that for new tanks you add 2ml of chemistry for every gallon of water. For maintenance, add 1/2ml chemistry for every gallon.

I've been taking out 6 gallons of water weekly. I've been treating the new water with the new tank directions. In other words, I am adding 6 gallons with 12ml of chemistry weekly. Am I doing this wrong? I don't understand if I'm supposed to treat the new water with the 1/2 ml per gallon rule (6 gallons- add 3ml of chemistry) or am I supposed to add enough chemistry to re-treat the whole tank (as in 30 gallons- add 15ml chemistry?).
It's a bit confusing in the way it is worded on the bottle and the website offers no further information. I've had the tank for about 4 months and it's been fine. But I just want to make sure that I'm not adding too much chemistry or too little chemistry. What sort of harm would this do?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chemistry isn't the best choice of words, but don't panic.

The only chemical you need to add to water is a de-chlorinator. This nullifies the Chlorine gas that is put in tap water to kill off bugs so we don't catch Cholera etc.

We need to use a de-chlorinator because Chlorine and Chloramines used also kill off the bacteria our fish need to stay alive, it also doesn't do the fish any good as it burns there gills.

To answer your question you only need to add enough for the new water going into the tank. So in your case just enough to treat the 6 gallons.

I have just had a look at this Wardley's 3 in 1. It claims to do a lot more than just take out Chlorine, there is a very good chance those claims are groundless (Products like this have been about for years).

I would carry on using it till it's done then get a proper de-chlorinator that doesn't do the other things this stuff claims, as if they work at all they could actually be more harmful than good.

Has your tank been cycled?

Bob
sarahandherfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my tank has cycled. When I said I've had the tank for about 4 months, I meant it's been cycled for about 4 months. I've had the tank about 5 months total.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: