Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Protein skimmer problem/question
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
md0u80a2
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)12:36    Post subject: Protein skimmer problem/question Reply with quote

Hi

I had a question about protein skimmers, specifically referring to my new orca tl450.

Forgive me if I sound silly, but not used one before and not sure how they are supposed to be, but here is the issue:-

The set up is a pump with a uv steriliser and over water air intake valve. The pump outputs into the skimmr in the next chamber.

When I open the air intake I get lots of bubbles coming up the cup. My problem is when I turn it up enough to get the foam people talk about, I am getting bubbles being pumped around the whole tank - it is full of them.

I am sure there is something so simple I am missing, but any advice?

thanks

Morris
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that skimmer but it sounds like it is hob or built in. Microbubbles are a problem with those types of skimmers. It won't hurt anything and there are ways to solve it but I need to see a pic of the setup first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
md0u80a2
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a photo showing back on http://www.uda.CO2.uk/orca.htm

As you can see the skimmer is fed from pump in next compartment and then the cup at top is not actually physically connected to microbubble device.

I adjust the air intake from the pump and can't get a lovely froth but as the water moves to the heater and media compartment and then outputs around the tank there are bubbles everywhere!!

Someone on another forum suggested some floss to absorb bubble, but as I and the LFS I abought the tank from cannot work out how the protein chamber islinked to the heater chamber on the right and how water flows between them, I don't know how I would do that?

Any ideas
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floss would need to be in the media chamber and will only be a temporary fix. Contact the manufacturer and see if they have a solution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: