Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Looking to breed cichlids.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah man, decisions decisions!

I've actually thought a lot about going the "Wet Pet" route and buying a 55 gallon, and putting a Jack Dempsey in. This works financially for me because with JD I wouldn't keep plants, and therefore won't need any special lighting or substrate, and I wouldn't need very much substrate at all, as I've heard great things about using just a thin layer of standard gravel because of how easy it easy to clean. I really think these fish are so beautiful, so now I have three options:

55 Gallon JD Tank-1st Choice

20 Gallon Long Community-2nd Choice

20 Gallon Long Cherry Red Shrimp Tank-3rd choice.

Any more advice?
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with your first choice. Then when you run into some more money (Tax return time is right around the corner) buy another tank and setup choice two, more money... choice 3. Ahh, Multiple Tank Syndrome, it's a beautiful thing. Very Happy

I currently have a 75g, 29g and three 10g's setup, and if I can find some more space, there will be more.
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, sounds like a plan! I guess I'll be adding all these fees up now.

Thanks for all your help J.B! If I have any more questions regarding setting up the tank or anything like that I'll be sure to post them here!
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, glad I could help out.

I forgot to ask, are you familiar with www.craigslist.com? If not, check it out! They have a section in the "for sale" area for "free items". Sometime you can find people giving away tanks. Like I always say, "If it's FREE, it's for ME!" A lot of times, even the ones for sale are pretty cheap.

I already looked, and right now there are not any listed for free or for sale in the Roanoke, VA area, but keep checking back. You never know what you'll find.
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked cragslist before, and like you, I didn't find anything for Roanoke, VA.

I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Would I be able to keep any other fish in the tank with the JD? I'm thinking no, but I've seen posts where people have had a Pleco or other bottom feeder.
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I've actually gone a completely different route! I'll be sure to open a 'journal' topic of sorts to let you all know what I chose! I'll give you a hint: 5 little fish with a not so little personality. Also fairly new to the aquarium scene, compared to other species.

I know I say this in every post, but thanks for all your help, J.B!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Jump to: