Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Convict and Rainbowfish compatability
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
aphyoseman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)15:36    Post subject: Convict and Rainbowfish compatability Reply with quote

I recently lost all of my fish in my 29 gal tank due to a power outage and am going to restock it soon. It has an under gravel filter as well as an old Aquaclear 300 hanging on the back. I want to try to breed Convicts (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus), so I was thinking of putting a pair in. Is there any way of having a school of maybe six or seven Rainbowfish such as the neon rainbowfish (Melanotaenia praecox) or Boeseman's rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani)?
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking definitely no. Convicts area very aggressive when breeding and typically will not let anything live in the tank unless it is VERY large. Also, since you're going to breed them, ditch the UGF. The Convicts will dig pits in the substrate for their fry to be herded into, and this simply will not work with a UGF. The Aqua Clear 300 is plenty of filtration on it's own for a tank that size.

Hope this helps!
tkipfer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree, rainbow fish can get pretty large and a group that big would not fit in the tank, also boseman's can get agressive with each other and other tankmates ( trust me on this) and are not really ment for a small tank. I've never bred convicts but from what I've heard they should be kept alone unless with other large tank mates and there arn't many big enough fish that can live in that small of a tank. so my adive to you is keep them alone or by another easy to spawn fish that is not as agressive.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: