Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
name my african cichlids!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
newfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)16:43    Post subject: name my african cichlids! Reply with quote

I bought 5 african cichlids about 2months ago, and my to blue ones died so I have a dark blue one with black stripes and yellow fins, and 2 orange ones with faded black stripes, I am wondering what there species are,here is a pic of the blue one that has died, the orang ones look exactly the same but they are orange, and the dark blue onelooks the same but is darker blue with yellow fins,
thanks shane

number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your photo, and descriptions make an accurate id a bit difficult. The picture shows a mbuna, likely one of the metriaclima types.

Often, these unidentified mbuna are hybrids as well, so often a perfect id is not easy to come by and in the end, is meaningless.
I would simply describe your fish as common aggressive mbuna.
Hope this helps.
newfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your reply, it helps a lot, I asked becouse I wanted to no what other species of fish I could put in there, so now I guess my question is, what other fish will get along with 3 mbunas in a 29 gallon with sand and caves and plants?
thank you,
shane! Wink
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)21:43    Post subject: Re: name my african cichlids! Reply with quote

newfish wrote:
what other fish will get along with 3 mbunas in a 29 gallon with sand and caves and plants?

I wouldn't put any other fish in there. The ones you have will all likely reach at least 5 - 6 inches a piece.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfish wrote:
what other fish will get along with 3 mbunas in a 29 gallon with sand and caves and plants?
as JB implies, nothing else can go in with these guys without eventual illness and death. Even these guys are likely to outgrow this tank. Often, with mbuna in small tanks, everything seems fin until one day, multiple illnesses break out one after the other... popeye, Ick, fin rot etc. These get blamed for the deaths, though they don't really deserve the blame.

Hope this helps. Smile
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: