Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Adding algae on purpose to a new tank?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)10:08    Post subject: Adding algae on purpose to a new tank? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 55 gallon that is cycling right now. Would it be a good idea to add a algae covered rock from another person's tank? I think the algae is either brown or brush algae.

My thinking is that since algae spores are everywhere, it wouldn't hurt to add the actual algae in my new tank to help it cycle, and to add more bio-diversity (whatever microbs) are on the rock?

I'm hoping my thank's lighting and aquarium plants would keep the algae growth in check. Is there such a thing as "introducing algae" to an aquarium? I mean, since algae spores are everywhere, there's no difference between adding the spores and adding the actual algae right? It's not like snails where if you add one, you'll get a million.

What do you think?

Eric
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually gone out to collect a rock with certain bright green alages on it to seed a tank. As soon as you plop a rock into your tank, the shock of the new water will cause your algae to sporulate and you will have thoroughly seeded that type(s) of algae into your tank. So you only need to borrow a rock for a day or two.

I use this trick to avoid the brown algae stage of a new tank, or to grow a specific colour algae under the lights.

Hope this helps. Smile
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, OK, so you're actually trying to avoid brown algae. The algae I have might be brown algae...so maybe I should look for some other type of algae to add - like maybe green hair algae. I don't mind those that much, food for the shrimps.

Too bad you can't buy "good" algae. Since they occur in spores, maybe you could buy a spore tab full of the specific type of algae.

Eric
Kyrielle
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you CAN buy good algae! They're commonly called moss balls, but they are actually a harmless type of algae that grows slowly and in the form of balls and are full of benefitial bacteria. You could borrow a moss ball or go to a fish store that might sell plants and see if they have some. I say the fish store because the tank with the moss ball will probably have some fish in it or shrimp to keep the algae down, thus there will be some bacteria already in the ball. =)
loveforfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

does a fish do the same thing, I have a zebra danio in my 55g tank right now.

could I possibly put some alage in there with that fish from my fish store?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: