Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cycling a 5 gallon Betta Tank?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
JTF
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)20:47    Post subject: Cycling a 5 gallon Betta Tank? Reply with quote

Looking to setup a 5 gal for a betta and was wondering if it is worth trying to cycle it or just do regular water changes/vaccuming. I understand the ways to cycle but not sure if it is too hard to keep it cycled due to the small amount of water volume. Any tips on the correct route to take or, I would not use a betta for the fish method
aberdufi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 5 gallon, I would go ahead and cycle it. I have a cycled 5.5 gal and a 2.5 gal, and I have had no problems with water quality/ammonia spikes, etc. It is true that smaller tanks are more maintenance though; I change the water in the 2.5 gal 2-3 times a week (50%). But as long as you have a filter in the tank, you should be able to cycle it and keep it cycled with the correct maintenance. That would be what I would do anyway Wink
JTF
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)19:43    Post subject: Cycling a 5 Gal Reply with quote

aberdufi wrote:
For a 5 gallon, I would go ahead and cycle it. I have a cycled 5.5 gal and a 2.5 gal, and I have had no problems with water quality/ammonia spikes, etc. It is true that smaller tanks are more maintenance though; I change the water in the 2.5 gal 2-3 times a week (50%). But as long as you have a filter in the tank, you should be able to cycle it and keep it cycled with the correct maintenance. That would be what I would do anyway Wink

What would be a good filter for a betta tank? Would a aquaclear hob be too strong?
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bettas do not like strong water current so therefore a filter that produces little flow or can be adjusted is preferred. An AquaClear filter should be fine and has a adjustable flow control. The AquaClear model 20 should be plenty for a 5 gallon tank.

2.5 gallon saltwater tank
aberdufi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Aquaclear on my larger tank, but for my 5 gallon, I just cheaped out and got a Whisper In-Tank Filter 10i. Nothing special, but it handles the bioload well, and I've never had a problem with it at all. For less than $15 too. You can't adjust the flow, but it isn't too strong to begin with.

I've also used the Duetto Submersible Power Filter, which IS adjustable and works quite well, but it was more than twice the price.

Good luck! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: