Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
cloudy water
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
balasharkdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)18:12    Post subject: cloudy water Reply with quote

I'm looking for some really good advise. I have read everything that I know to read about cloudy water. I have a 55g and it has been set up for about a year. For the past month it has turned cloudy with a white looking haze, which I assume is bacteria bloom. I have tried several water changes, added cycle bacteria starter, cleaned filters weekly, and slowed down on feeding. The water is still very cloudy. All perameters are in good shape. If anyone could offer any advise, I would GREATLY appreciate it. THANKS.....
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your tank size, filter set up, fish load?

These are the three major things we need to know before we can help. Post some other things like water temp, pH, nitrate, nitrite and things like that will be helpful too.

Clean filter weekly? That sounds like bit too much. How do you clean your filer? I hope not with tap water. You need to give your filter some time to mature. Leave it for a while.
balasharkdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 55 gallon tank. My filtration is one magnum 350 canister, and a aqua-tech 40-60 hob filter, and I also have a under-gravel filter. Fish - 2 clown loaches, 1 bala shark, 1 silver dollar, 1 common pleco, 1 rainbow shark, 1 golden gourami, 1 syndontis catfish, and 1 angel. Water temp stays around 72f, pH is 7.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGF has the problem of going bad after a while when collected too much nasty things in it. You may have to clean it up or get rid of it. You did not say how big are the fish so I'm not sure if you are over loading of the tank or not. If they are full grown, you are. If not, maybe you are OK. Most likely you are having a mini cycle. It happens when the filter media is killed, either by medication or by they way you clean it. You need to leave the filter media alone for a while to let it mature. In the mean time, do water change as often as you can or put in something to take out the ammo, nitrite. Otherwise, you could lose some fish.

There is another possibility, your filter is not function properly. UGF may have problem when the gravel is removed by fish at one point, creating free water flow and bypass the media (gravel). Since you have some active fish in it, that's possible.

I would also make sure that your filters can handle the fish load and the size of the tank.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAQ: Cloudy/milky/hazy water problems...

Some good info from Steve Hampton in that thread.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: