Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Types of Cichlids in 20-gal tank
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Gini
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)16:10    Post subject: Types of Cichlids in 20-gal tank Reply with quote

I have an unused 20-gallon tank that I would like to start back up again and am thinking of stocking it with a variety of live plants and a few cichlids. I am no expert at cichlids so am looking for an easy-to-keep variety . What is the consensus as to quantity and type? I would prefer a heavily planted tank, unless the cichlids prefer less plants. I am also going to use 2 (if possible) Aquaclear 50 over the side filters (over one 50 only, if recommended). Are cichlids better left to their own species or could I add another type of fish as well for variety?
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram Cichlid (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) - These are pretty common

Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) - These are fairly common

Agassiz's Apisto (Apistogramma agassizii) - I havent seen any of these for sale anywhere, but thats just my area

Dwarf Flag Cichlid (Laetacara curviceps) - Iv seen a few of these for sale once

Spadetailed Checkerboard Cichlid (Dicrossus maculatus) - Never seen these for sale

Or maybe a jack dempsey. I don't know the dimensions of a 20 gallon, so I don't know if it would fit.

And a rapheal catfish for a catfish.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a 20g I would put a pair of Keyhole cichlids/Cleithracara maronii. They grow to about 4" and can be kept with smaller tetras like the cardinal, neon, rummynose etc. For a janitorial crew, I'd put a small school of coryadoras, probably pandas, and a couple of Otos.
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about Kribs. Those only get 4 inches long. They look pretty cool too.
NancyD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a pair of apistogramma agassizii for my 20g long. They are small yet, maybe 1/2 or 3/4 inch SL. I have them with tiny panda corys & a school of small rasboras. I'll have to see how it works long term. Agassizii cacatuoides are available here regularly. We bred kribs in a species only 20 but a 30 probably would have been better, the female wanted the male away from the babies. Or shell dwellers? Never tried them.
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I heard shelldwellers are great even for a 10.
CichlidKid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way you'll keep a Jack Dempsey in there without having to move him out very soon. Once he/she hits the 3" range I'd have another BIG tank ready. Mine's going into a 90 next month. they'll get 8+ inches and will need the room not to mention tankmates that can hang with them without being beaten up

I've had Blue Rams and they're pretty cool. Fun to watch and awesome color. You should be able to find several threads on them. "Cathy G" knows a ton about them and has helped me out as I am going to put them in my 30 gallon

Good luck!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: