Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
will temperature affect?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)8:40    Post subject: will temperature affect? Reply with quote

let's say I have this fish in a tank that has a temp of 29 degree celsius, if I were to transfer this fish to a tank of temp 26 degree celcius, will the fish die??
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

29C is pretty high for a tank. What do you have in it? Most tanks just need a temp of about 26C, unless you have discus.

You can't say straight away if it will die or not, but it is quite likely it will. You could do the same method as when you add a new fish into the tank. Put the fish in a plastic bag and float it in the new tank for a while. The temperature change will be at least more gradual
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah 29 is a little high, you want your tank around 26 for most species. I wouldn't put them straight into another tank as it will stress them and they could die, I would bag them with some of the 29 and let the water slowly come down to 26. But I recommend you lower your 29 degree tank to begin with about a degree every few hours.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, I highly doubt the fish will die if you transfer it from 29C to 26C. I've seen it done, and done it many times at the LFS which I do part-time at, and there has never been a fatality that I have been aware of resulting from it. This also happens most of the time that I do a waterchange in summer, no fatalities from it so far.

If you want to minimize stress, float it in a bag just like acclimitizing new fish - in my opinion it's largely useless to do it for more than 20 minutes in this circumstance though.

The real killer in my experience is swings in hardness, not so much pH or temperature. Particularly drops in hardness, although I could be biased and just noticing this over increases in hardness more as I see other people report the same thing.
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm.. I was just wondering..
can I slowly drip water from my main tank to the bag containing the new fishes?
ClaytonM
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe mixing the LFS water with the water in your tank is recommended.
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClaytonM wrote:
I don't believe mixing the LFS water with the water in your tank is recommended.

then how would you acclimatise the fish??
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is to use an air line with a valve to drip tank water into the bag. Slowly filling up the bag. It takes about one hours or so and you can net the fish out to your tank.

If you can not do that, add a cup of tank water to the bag every 10 minutes for about an hour will do the trick too. Some people float the bag in the tank for 10 minutes to get the same temp too.

I hope you do QT your new fish, right?
Jose
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the bag with the fish in the tank, wait about 20 minutes until both have similar temperatures and then dip the fish water and all into the aquarium. I never buy fish from a tank showing any signs of disease or dirty water and I have never had a problem.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: