Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Amano shrimp - acting like it wants out of the water
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)10:12    Post subject: Amano shrimp - acting like it wants out of the water Reply with quote

Hi,
In my dad's 29 gal tank, we have 2 amano shrimps and some java fern, that's all there is. There used to be two other goldfish, but they died several weeks ago. I know amano should be warm water, so I'm confiscating my dad's shrimp.

I moved the 2 shrimps into a temporary 12 gallon Eclipse tank, and filled it half with the old tank water and half with fresh treated tap water. This was 38 hours ago, and one of the shrimp seems to be constantly trying to get out of the water - it swims to the surface and keeps trying to swim up. I've tested the water, and it's fine - no ammonia, and not even nitrite or nitrate, pH is 7.6. I used some old aquarium decor to bring in some of the nitrifying bacteria. I've put a small amount of activated carbon to try to absorb anything else that might be in the tank. I doubt there's any detergents, I'm pretty careful.

What might be causing the shrimp to act this way? And it's only one of the shrimp, the other one is OK.

Thanks,
Eric
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that he is enjoying the new tank. I have 8 amanos in a 10 gal tank and at least for a couple of hours a day they are swimming all over the tank and even getting into the duckweed at the surface. Its like a playful run.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Amano also spend time zipping around the tank, including shooting up to the surface, racing along and then zipping back down to the middle or bottom of the tank. They've done this for months and are growing and seem fine.
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. They've settled down a little now. They're really cute.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: