Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
red phantom tetras
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
flyjawn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.13(Wed)14:50    Post subject: red phantom tetras Reply with quote

last week I added 6 red phantoms to my tank. 2 of the phantoms have begun to school with the 6 cardinals that are in the same tank. the other 4 wander around, hide, school and then hide again.

is this normal behaviour? and how on earth do I know if they are all doing okay when I can't find most of them half the time? they are very skilled at disappearing amongst the plants.
hedgelj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.13(Wed)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red phantoms that are schooling with your cardinals...are they of a similar size to the cardinals? That may explain it. I have red phantoms and black phantoms in my tank and they don't school very tight, but neither do my cardinals...

The other thing I noticed is that they are much less aggressive eaters then the other tetras I have kept. They don't like to go to the surface for their food, they only eat when I cumble it under the surface so it is kinda suspended.
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.15(Fri)18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, phantoms are middle-feeders so you have to make sure some food gets down to them.

Otherwise... I've seen my phantoms exhibit many different behaivours. Sometimes they dart around the tank, full of energy, and something they hover in their favouite corner for hours at a time.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.15(Fri)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

My black phantom tetras school with my Cardinal tetras at times. Other times they go it individually or school with just themselves. As mentioned above - they are mid-feeders so make sure food floats down to them.
Charles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

my RED and Black phantom tetras school with my other schooling fishes, which are Pinkskirts and x-rays. They don't school very close together, but most of the time, they're pretty close to each other...and they all hang out near the plant. I rarely see them in empty spots, whether in school or alone. So I believe they're behaving normal.
flyjawn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for about a week I was sure that 3 of my phantoms were dead because I couldn't find them anywhere.

then I found one stuck to my intake filter Sad

but the others are all fine, 2 just prefer to hide while the others school happily with the cardinals. (they are all the same size by the way).
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: