Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New 30x12x12 Aquarium
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
innatrance4556
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)22:17    Post subject: New 30x12x12 Aquarium Reply with quote

I just got a brand new 30x12x12 aquarium for 10 dollars. Just wondering if it was for fish.
What kind of fish would be good in a small longer aquarium?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 20gals is pretty good for Tetras, Corydoras, Dwarf Gouramis, Guppies, and so on. Youll have some time to think about it while it cycles so I suggest you do research online and see what you want to do. Remember, make sure the tank is fully cycled before you put fish into it.
Kit-Kat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, what I am doing with my tank is...

8-12 Cardinal Tetras
5-6 cories

But you can also do

6-8 Tetras(smaller species, like Rummys)
3-4 Platys(1 male, the rest female)
1 betta OR gourami(Dwarf)
5 cories

And you can do

8-12 Tetras
5-6 cories Or shrimp or snails

20 gals are so great, they have rom for fish, and the are a nice size, that can go anywhere, unlike 100 gallons Rolling Eyes
innatrance4556
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of filter should I get?
What kind of heater should I get? the aquarium is only 12" high...is that going to be a problem?

I also have a 45 gallon aquarium and I was wondering if I could transfer the filter and the heater later in the future. I think I'm not ready for the 45 gallon yet.

Anyone know how much gravel I should put in a 30x12x12 aquarium?
I know I found a site before that caculates it for you but forgot to bookmark it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
innatrance4556
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also didn't come with a hood.
Should I just buy one of those kits and forget about this aquarium?
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a HOB (hang on back) power filter. No undergravel filter. Just make sure that you buy one that rated higher than 20 gallons. Aquaclear make good ones that are not to pricy. You don't have to have a hood, but I would recommend it. I have a glass hood. It was cheap and works great. Being only 12 inches tall shouldn't be a problem at all. Some fish like Gourami like shallow aqariums. Just make sure to research your fish first.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorter (depth wise) and longer tanks are actually better than higher (depth wise) and shorter (length wise) tanks, except for a few species like Angels who need the taller tanks.
Before you get a hood you need to decide on lights. If you don't want any lights you can get a very simple top. Generally a hood with even the minimum lights are better though, especially if you think you may want to put in real/live plants at any time in the future.
I think it would be wise to price out all the extras that you need (filter, heater, hood w/or w/out lights, thermometer, etc. and then decide if a "kit" would actually be cheaper at this point. The kits usually include things like a net and food also.
I agree that an AquaClear HOB would be the best filter. The filters that come with the kits are never, IMO, as good as one you would buy separatly.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: