Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Brown Spots
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Glen
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)16:57    Post subject: Brown Spots Reply with quote

Hiya,
Can anybody help, I have 2 common clowns that have developed small dark brown patches on the orange parts of there body and fins they have been there over a week know but the fish are still eating and behaving normal, they are not being bullied or getting stressed in any way.
I have a 1000mm x 500mm x 500mm tank containing 50kg of live rock and a sump under the tank containing a Protien Skimmer and 2 Sieo pumps for water movement in the tank, the tank contains 2 Firefish, 1 small Regal Tang, 10 turbo Snails, 6 Hermit Crabs, 2 Cleaner Shrimps and 4 Peppermint Shrimps, 1 Leather Coral, 1 Pulsating Coral and a number of Musroom Corals, water Quality reads Salinity 1024, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, pH 8.3.
Anybody any Ideas ?
Glen
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please post a photo or two...
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a simular type of thing happen with one of my clowns its actually caused by their hosts. in my case polythoa sp. or my brown button polyps. According to Dr. Daphne G. Fautin and Dr. Gerald R. Allen the darkening of the skin in areas or melanism is caused contact with the host anemone. It also is known to occur with clownfish that host corals, zoanthids and coralimorphs.

andrew
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like this? Mine are from the zoas he hosts in, he is fine just spotted from the toxins.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
AlainnIasg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)13:57    Post subject: dark spots Reply with quote

is velvet a possibility?
Glen
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, The marks on my clown are exactly like that but not as many. I do have a Zoa, but I have never seen the clowns go near it or any of the corals, but they are exactly the same.

Thanks for that.
Glen
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the middle of the night you will probqbly find him in a mat of zoa's. The palytoxins are esp. hard on some clowns. The female that is mated with that male has no spots from the zoas but it tears him up. lol

There is also a black ick but it is quite different than the black spots from the zoas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: