Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Camel Shrimp and acclimation
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
newmarinetanker
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.09(Sat)20:40    Post subject: Camel Shrimp and acclimation Reply with quote

I have researched on camel shrimps and they seem to be a good candidate for a beginner like me, but I would value any adive or opinions that can be shared on this species.

Also what is the best way to acclimate a shrimp to a tank.

Oh I have a 12g with live rock and one clown fish, several small snail, and 3 hermit crabs.
newmarinetanker
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.09(Sat)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

also figured I mention the tank has been set up for about 4 months now, and it will be another month before I buy these shrimps
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.09(Sat)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Camel Shrimp: Rhynchocinetes durbanensis
a non-cleaner, not the best choice for reef sysyems; will damage some coral polyps and other inverts, but should be okay for your system... they are fascinating and can be kept in groups. Also consider the Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp which may bring you a more open personality and a lot more activity.

Look to a drip method for acclimating shrimps; they can be extememly sensitive to rapid shifts in water chemistry. Crate a tiny siphon with a length of airline tubing and tie a knot in it, so it slowly drips into the bag for about an hour.

Your questions/research will lead to success...
newmarinetanker
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.10(Sun)1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are the social as in need other camel shrimp to thrive? And if so how many? I have read them as tolerating other camel and other species of shrimp.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.10(Sun)11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I have seen the small gregarious shrimps on the reef, for example Camels, Peppermints, etc. they are always huddled in a cave in a group. That does not mean they must have others in captivity but the point is; they can be kept in groups which is not always the case with other captive shrimp species. For example attempting to mix two non-mated Banded Coral Shrimps (Stenopus hispidus), will generally result in a scene out of Gladiator.
newmarinetanker
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.11(Mon)10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the last 3 articles I have read they say that camel shrimp do best in groups of 3 or more with plenty of hiding space.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: