Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Golden wrass: to clean or not to clean?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mat167
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.24(Fri)21:04    Post subject: Golden wrass: to clean or not to clean? Reply with quote

Hi, just checking...I have a small golden wrass about 2 in and I've noticed that when hes not digging in the sand, hes hanging around my yellow tang (3.5 in) and cleaning him of ick. is this expected behaviour or am I just lucky?
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.25(Sat)8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not overly common, although yellow/golden wrasse have been known to pick parasites of fish. I have a yellow wrasse around the same size as yours, and when I first introduced my yellow tang, I would occassionally catch my wrasse cleaning her. It wasn't overly common though, and after I introduced the cleaner shrimps, my wrasse never bothered again.

If I'm right, the yellow wrasse is a part of the Halichoeres family. However, it's usually wrasses from the Labroides family that are known for their cleaning. So, I think you did luck out with your wrasse, because in general, yellow/golden wrasses aren't avid cleaners.

You should be able to find some more information here:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/wrasses/index.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/halichoeres.htm
Mat167
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.25(Sat)22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, it was pretty interesting. Best of luck to your wrass, I love those little guys
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: