Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my friends pepper mint shrimp
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jonjbck
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.23(Thu)14:51    Post subject: my friends pepper mint shrimp Reply with quote

My friend brought a pepper mint shrimp about 3 weeks in to the start of he's tank, its doing well and ate the aiptasia anemones but now it is eaten some of the snails that he has living in the tank, the snails was breading fast so he wanted them out of the tank but the shrimp has been eating them is this normal for a pepper mint shrimp? and will he start eating turbo snails, or crabs? thanks.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.11.23(Thu)15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrimp are opportunistic feeders...they eat what they can. Peppermints aren't usually as bad as camelbacks which a lot of stores sell as peppermints as they look very much alike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.25(Sat)8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 peppermints and they've never given my snails any problems. They usually just hide in the rockwork, and occassionally if I wake up early enough I'll catch them wandering around the tank. They're usually pretty shy though.

I try and feed them a little piece of white-bait, though, whenever I feed the others. They spend most of their time underneath one of my rocks, so if I hold it down there, the shrimps will usually grab it. Maybe try doing this, because hopefully, if they're well-fed it will reduce the likelihood of them taking your snails hostage.

Also, it's common for peppermint shrimps to eat aptasia's, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Unfortunately for me, I have a lovely assortment of aptasia's in my hermit crab tank, but the crabs have never developed an appetite for them! Razz

Anyway, hope this helps Smile
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: