Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Killifish help
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ABryce
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.31(Tue)12:45    Post subject: Killifish help Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

At the urging of my girlfriend I started a 10gl killifish tank. Cycled, lower lighting, lots of java ferns and smaller plants. I purchased 2 male and three female Aphyosemion ogoense. I placed the bag in the tank to aclimate them. Before I had even added any of the tanks water a male and a felmale were dead in the bag. Could this have been aggression from the other male, the males chasing the females???

As I have no experience with killies does anyone have advice or suggestions on keeping them, they are very beautiful but appear very fragile.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.04(Sat)1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not kept this species myself, but have heard it can be a delicate one sometimes. I suspect a problem with shipping could have stressed them. How'd they look when they arrived? If they came in really pale then I could see that happening. I can't really see a male killing the 2 others in a few minutes but I guess after shipping anything is possible. Most killifish I've gotten(including some claimed to be at least as delicate as ogoense) bounce back from shipping with few problems, so it could have been a fluke. I had one case of some Nothobranchius all keeling over a week or so after being shipped. I later raised them from eggs successfully do I don't think Nothos or annuals ship very well when adults...or perhaps...it was a fluke Wink

Also ogoense prefer cool temperatures < 75 degrees for long term maintenance. If you want easy killies maybe look at Fp. gardneri(population 'Misaje' has blue and red that probably gets close to that of ogoense), A. australe, or any of the Chromaphyosemion group. That being said up in Canada those temps shouldn't be too hard to provide, and the fish I mentioned are more warmwater fish.

Don't let one bad experience put you off these fish though!
plus all kinds of smaller containers
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: