Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Regal Tang
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Kieran
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.25(Wed)4:15    Post subject: Regal Tang Reply with quote

Iv read that regal tangs contract ich easily and I have noticed that my regal tang has started to rub against the sand and rocks in the tank does this mean he has ich??? Also I was told to buy sea weed because it was an important part of their doet but he hardly ever goes near it why will this be???
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.25(Wed)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before posting more questions,
Please outline your system description in your profile, including filtration, size, history, bio load, etc... this will help others help you.

As for the Hepatus Tang, yes my friend they are highly susceptible to parasitic attack, (this is why you need to use a quarantine tank for all new arrivals) but they respond well to treatments and once settled they are a great fish.

Occasional scratching is normal, CONSTANT scratching may be cause for concern. Examine it closely; do you see any white spots like salt?... constant rubbing and scratching can be signs of ich, but also could indicate nitrite or ammonia spikes (not good) so test your water and if you see white spots you will need to take further action.

As for diet: seaweed products like Nori, Two Little Fishies etc. are perfect... is it eating anything at all? How long have you had it?
Again, edit your profile and include your water parameters please.
Kieran
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.26(Thu)2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks iv had it for nearly 2 weeks now it doesn't seem 2 go near the sea weed but he eats flake, frozen brine shrimp and other frozen foods. Also if I start to treat the fish with medication is it OK to add new fish to the tank??
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.26(Thu)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to reply to all my questions otherwise I cannot help you.
Medication... why are you medicating? let's slow down and hit one thing at a time here.
Did you see white spots?
Please add to your profile your tank history; how long has it been set up?
Test for ammonia and nitrite and give me the results please.
Do not add any more fish at this time, I see you are having trouble keeping a stable temp also.
Kieran
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.27(Fri)2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

No theres been no white spots the tang just scratches its self on the rocks and sand and I was told to medicate him even if he doesn't have white spots just to be on the safe side. My tanks been set up for abot 3 to 4 weeks and only this week iv started hanivg temperature problems.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.27(Fri)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 to 4 weeks, ARRRGGHH, finally you provide a clue to your tank history...

Your tank is in mid-cycle and no doubt has dangerous levels of nitrite or ammonia (not good) so get the Tang OUT of there now and test your water for nitrite and ammonia like I told you earlier. Leave the Tang at your LFS for a few weeks or it WILL likely die from the cycling process. Please take time and research more about this cycling process before risking any more delicate marine fish. Please read what I posted in the sticky on this very forum about Tangs and Angelfish, to make it easy I'll post it again here for you:

"Although some species are very hardy and adapt well under good care, in my opinion this group as a whole should be reserved for established tanks with at least 6-12 months growth of green micro algae, or even better some live rock and the experience to go with it. As a general rule, these groups are less tolerant of the "unlearned" conditions often found in beginners tanks, including poor water quality, traces of ammonia or nitrites, overcrowded (small) spaces, high nitrates and dissolved organics, low quality diet or unvaried foods, lack of greens, etc. Thus, they will often "reflect" these stressful conditions long before other fish are impacted (canary in the coal mine). Some species are highly susceptible to head and lateral line erosion (HLLE) without proper diet and proper organic export equipment/protocol."
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: