Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pink tipped anemone (condylactis)
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
susaben
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.19(Thu)18:44    Post subject: Pink tipped anemone (condylactis) Reply with quote

I have a pink tipped anemone in my reef tank and it has turned brown. The tips are still the same color but the body was pure white in color and turned brown a month after I got it. It eats fine and has settled in the bottom on one of the smaller rocks and seems to like it there. Is it supposed to turn brown? I was told that it was congested from overeating but I have to feed the fish too and I'm not sure what to do?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.19(Thu)20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan,
Generally speaking, most anemones are very difficult to maintain long term in aquaria and I often discourage their trade in the industry, for reasons I have made clear in the stickies on this forum.
Is your "pink tip" anemone Atlantic or Pacific?
Like many marine species, the Atlantic Condylactis is described as "easy to keep" by some authors and "very difficult" by others. The other species sometimes called "pink tip" in the trade is the VERY difficult Heteractis crispa or H. malu, also called Sebae anemone, Singapore anemone, etc.

One thing almost everyone agrees on; they need proper lighting.
Your profile tells me nothing about your setup, be advised; PROPER LIGHTING is crucial to success with many anemones...
and the Condy species need a lot of it just to survive! The lighting required to keep this inexpensive animal healthy for the long term will easily cost you several hundred dollars... not a misprint.
BTW, what is your current lighting?

Here's the good news; the brown color in itself is not a bad thing, ideally this would be a sign of healthy symbiotic algae (zooxanthellae) living in the anemone's tissues... specifically a type called Symbiodinium cariborum if you have the Atlantic species, bottom line---I am far more concerned about a white anemone's health than a brown one.

Here are more opinions:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/condylactis.htm
susaben
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.23(Mon)18:44    Post subject: lighting for pink tipped anemone Reply with quote

I am REALLY, REALLY new to all of this. I will have to get back to you on the lighting. I am a veterinarian that knew absolutely nothing about marine aquariums or marine life (except that it was beautiful and exciting) until a year ago. I know just enough to get me into trouble. The 100 gallon tank we have at our office belongs to my boss and I'm not sure what light source we have. It is in the lobby in front of a huge glass window and gets large amounts of natural sunlight as well as regular lighting. Our frog spawn is constantly reproducing (out growing the tank) as well as yellow button polyps, mushroom corals galore and a finger leather(?). We constantly trade them in for whatever we need because they are reproducing so quickly. The anemone actually looks better today. It's not quite as dark. It will move to the front of the tank to get the full afternoon sun and then when it gets darker it will shrink back under the live rock into a little den. Then it's right back out front again in the mornings. We also have small feather dusters that just cropped up (not bought on purpose) as well as one yellow tang, two blue damsels, one fire shrimp, one three-striped damsel (a little black and white striped damsel), and a purple looking gramma? (not sure what it is). We also have an aiptasia problem but I'm working on that...any suggestions?
susaben
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.23(Mon)18:48    Post subject: Pink tipped anemone Reply with quote

I forgot to add that I don't know if the anemone is Atlantic or Pacific. It was "picked out" by one of the office workers because it was "pretty." I will find out.
susaben
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.26(Thu)20:21    Post subject: Lighting and the "pink tipped anemone" Reply with quote

Our lighting system consists of one actinic lamo and 4 HO lamps. The tank also gets a LARGE amount of natural light from the huge windows that line the waiting area where the tank sits. I recently moved the anemone to a high spot on the live rock where it would be closer to the light. It seems to like it there and is opened wide. It is of the Atlantic type. It eats pretty much any type of food that falls toward it. Is there something special that it needs to eat?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.26(Thu)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small chunk of raw shrimp or squid once or twice a week...
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: