Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
filtration and water movement for 10g
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
newmarinetanker
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.10(Tue)15:49    Post subject: filtration and water movement for 10g Reply with quote

I have just recently setup a 10g salt water tank, and was wonder if the filter meant for a 10g will provide enough water movement for the tank? I plan on putting in a clownfish and royal gramma or another small fish. The tank already has some live rock and 2 hermit crabs in it, and will be a fish only tank.
Thank you anyone replies knowledgable.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.11(Wed)2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the filter and what is the flow rate of it?

I don't find the filter puts out a strong enough current in the right direction in my small tank (AC70, about 1100lph in a ~10gal). I have seen tank journals in which the tank soley relies on the filter for current though.
newmarinetanker
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.11(Wed)22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is 15gph flow rate. should I get one that is around 33 instead is the current one OK?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.12(Thu)1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a lot of articles and the like saying that 10x flow is sufficient for a saltwater tank, but I find that I prefer a higher flow rate than that and have seen or heard of very few nano tanks that actually have around 10x flow. I have a good 30-50x flow in my tank, I know another member on here Andrew (SLACKra) has similar flow in his.

In a smaller tank, conditions change faster and it seems to me that simple things like localized heat buildup (from high powered MH lights for example) or low oxygen content become more of a problem. Having a higher flow rate pretty much helps prevent these problems, as well as preventing any dead spots where detritus can build up. Coral preference is also an issue, as some corals prefer higher flow rates than others (but your tank is a FOWLR so doesn't matter).

I guess it really comes down to whether you have sufficient oxygen content in the water (does your pH drop below 8.0?) and whether you have any dead spots that accumulate unnecessary detritus. If yes, jacking up the flow rate will help. If not, then I don't see any problems with your current flow rate.

EDIT: Right, sorry, read your flow rate totally wrong. Embarassed What perfectblue said, at least 10-15x turnover.

Last edited by unissuh on 2006.10.12(Thu)18:18; edited 1 time in total
newmarinetanker
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.12(Thu)12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested my water 3 times in the last 12 days and the pH has always been between 8.2-8.4. I have a top fin filter and have been reading up on them and thinking about getting a better quality filter before I put any fish in the tank. For a new filter I would have budget of $25, thsi is because I am a college student; what filter would you suggest or should I just go by flow rate trying to get one between 20-30gph?
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.12(Thu)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 10 gallon tank that doesn't house coral I would aim for 10-15x turnover rate in your tank so in other words you would want around 100-150 gallons per hour in total. Power filters are not needed for saltwater tanks and the use of powerheads is far more efficient at producing the kind of water movement you are looking for. I would recommend investing in a couple small powerheads such as Microjets or Minijets. Having two powerheads instead of one is much better as you can direct the flow in different spots throughout the tank which will reduce dead spots that can be overrun by Cynobacteria and other nuisance algae.

Your stocking for a 10 gallon tank is a bit heavy in my opinion. I would try and narrow it down to a single small fish.

Good luck with your tank and if you have any more questions just ask. Smile

2.5 gallon saltwater tank
newmarinetanker
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.13(Fri)7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

So should I along with getting the microjets you were talking about get a filter to that does 100-150gph. I did that whole post thing because the local fish store told me my filter was fine but I though it was weak. Also I have read about cooling devices needed for a nano tank is this correct or optional thing.
newmarinetanker
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.13(Fri)7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question. What should the flow rate be for coral? Thanks you guys have been a big help. Lot more than the store. lol.
Fishboy86
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.13(Fri)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello newmarinetanker welcome to the forum

well lets see if I could help you out alittlebit. I guess the powerfilter doesn't provide enought water current in your 10 gallon one reason is that the power filter only directs current in one way. One of my favorite make of power filters are the acuaclear ones right now I'm using a acuaclear 150 on my 15 gallon nanoreef and its doing fine. If the watermovement worries you a lot then you could use a power head along with your powerfilter I would recomend you a acuaclear AquaClear Power Head 101 they are good quality and work fine I run a 201 in my nanoreef and works great with the corals. Now for your fish I totaly agree with the rest of the pplz in here you should cut down on that stocking list just the clownfish although you could try but don't add them all at the same time add one fish wait a couple of or weeks I usually wait a month and check what happens.

Now down to cooling devices You really don't need one I can't assure that until you tell us what type of lighting your using Powercompacts,Metal halides,VHO. ect. I'm using a coralife aqualight 110watts and I'm not in the need of using one you really don't need a cooling unit (chiller) unless you do Metalhalide. The flow rates for corals really depends on each one some like high others low you should do specific searches on the ones that your interested.

Also I would really recomend the use of a Protein skimmer they won't only help your aquarium look nice but they will also keep it healthy remember every thing that goes inthere must come out it doesn't matter if they eat it or not it will go through the nitrate cycle a power filter will help you catch small debries before they turn into amonia, nitrite, nitrate you should clean it out atleast once a week. but there will small particles that the powerfilter doesn't catch and just go through thats when the protein skimmer does its job I have one on my nano reef and it does a pretty good job at keeping it clean.

everything combined together along with regular waterchanges will keep your system living long and healthy. Very Happy
newmarinetanker
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.14(Sat)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased a Aqua Clear Mini/20 Filter and 2 Model 201 - output 126 gph, up to 20 gallons Model 201 (126 gph) to help with the flow rate of the water.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: