Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to skimmer
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Davide
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.03(Tue)19:09    Post subject: New to skimmer Reply with quote

I just converted one of my 130g FW tanks to SW. I am using a protein skimmer for the first time(hang on rated for 220gal).
Is it normal for a protein skimmer to inject small bubbles out of the exit into the tank? Do I have it setup correctly?
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.03(Tue)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David, Welcome to AofA Smile .

Yes it is normal for that to occur. They are called micro bubbles and can cause problems for some corals and fish like seahorses and pipefish. They tend to super saturate the water column with air and then dissolve out into air pockets that can be trapped under corals and cause necrosis (dead spots). In seahorses and pipefish they contribute to a disorder known as Gas Bubble Disease.

What brand of skimmer is it? My Coralife superskimmer came with a micro bubble diffuser, basically a plastic box lined with foam that the return flows into. Perhaps you can buy one for your model. When skimmers are used in sumps the water usually flows through a series of baffles to reduce micro bubbles.

In reefs and seahorse sp. tanks we try to avoid them but in FOWLR's or FO I don't think they matter much.

Any other opinions out there?
Davide
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did come with micro bubble diffuser. but these bubbles are still passing throgh the diffuser.

I also noticed that the water is overflowing the micro bubble diffuser is that normal?

thanks again!
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of skimmer is it?
Davide
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.13(Fri)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem seems to be fixed now. I needed to adjust the length of the hose going into the diffuser.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: