Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
MH Bulbs: Single-Ended or Double-Ended
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.06(Fri)13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I would find a local reef club...search through these and see if one is close to you. It is the best way to get good stock.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=80
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.10.06(Fri)13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do what Sir said. You're in Cali, lots of clubs there, lots of good ones. Find a local reef club and make friends. You can usually get some great deals on equipment from reefclubs too, that's how I got my EuroReef skimmer.

They will also, usually, donate or sell to you for cheap a lot of frags.

hth,

Matt
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.06(Fri)15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks sirreal for that link. I set up a profile on there, but the site wouldn't accept my password when I put it in. So, I left and forgot about it. Now, I guess they fixed it, so thanks for getting me back. I emailed an aquarium society that I think might be in my area. Any more coral groups that you guys can think of besides Montipora? I'm sorry, but Live Aquaria doesn't have.........let me just show you.

Here: http://liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=322
There's only one Fiji montipora, but all are from Solomon Isles.

Here: http://liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2293
Here, they don't list where they're from.

Here: http://liveaquaria.com/diversden/CatDisplay.cfm?sku=0089697000000&siteid=20&start=31&page_num=3
They are all either encrusting or not from Fiji. I also don't care for the types they do have there.

I know I'm sounding a bit cranky, but hey, my original idea of a reef garden just went crashing down several hours ago, so I have to get a new plan before I can relax. A couple more questions: How do you make words or phrases into links? Also, will the acroporas actually hurt each other even if they are closely related?
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.10.09(Mon)7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically in the US, you'll find digitata, capricornis and nodosa. The digi will be a branching monti, the cap will be, well, a cap... and the nodosa will vary.

nodosa

digitata

capricornis

the caps and the nodosa come in all different colors. You certainly don't have to go with an all monti tank, but it would def. be interesting and not often seen in the hobby.

If you decide to go with a mixed reef, you'll need to keep in mind that the corals available for sale are collected all over the reef. From depths of 3' to deep water corals and in order to be successful long term (think more than a year or two), you'll need to pick cnidarians that have generally the same light requirements and won't kill eachother... Smile

best of luck! remember, it is always easier to pick your lights if you've already solidified your stocking (coral) plan.
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.09(Mon)17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do a Solomon Islands theme with monti's and perculas. But what are the disadvantages of having a shallow Fiji(acro) tank?

On a slightly different topic, is there a way I can have a biotope with bubble coral, hammer coral, torch coral, candy cane, and a lot of the LPS corals? If I see that two corals have the same location and light preferences, should I assume they are at same depth too?
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.10.10(Tue)10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCS wrote:
I could do a Solomon Islands theme with monti's and perculas. But what are the disadvantages of having a shallow Fiji(acro) tank?

The only problem with a shallow Fiji Acro tank is you need more expensive lights (higher wattage means more money) and acros are more difficult to keep than montipora.

CCS wrote:
On a slightly different topic, is there a way I can have a biotope with bubble coral, hammer coral, torch coral, candy cane, and a lot of the LPS corals? If I see that two corals have the same location and light preferences, should I assume they are at same depth too?

This is a much more complicated question than I can answer, you may want to ask Eric Bornerman over on the marinedepot forums. Smile
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: