Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Warning to blood worm feeders:
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
LunarFlame
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)4:50    Post subject: Warning to blood worm feeders: Reply with quote

If so, here's a warning for you.

I'm not sure if you're all aware, but bloodworms are midge larva (I think they are related to mosquitos) I believe. If you touch the worms on your body, you may get itchy or rashy. I've heard its a similar reaction to mosquito bites.

Well.. let me just tell you, I made the ultimate mistake. I was opening a package of frozen bloodworms with a knife. The knife slipped, and the tip just barely pieced my finger. It was just barely enough to make it hurt.

Well 3 minutes later my finger started feeling hot, I look down and there is a rash up my arm, all the way to my arm pit and my finger is swollen so fat that I can't move it.

Not fun.

I just took some Benedryl so hopefully I will be OK :S

Just learn from my mistake and be careful when feeding bloodworms! lol

Last edited by LunarFlame on 2006.10.04(Wed)5:19; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
MattWilson11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats really useful to know. I hope you feel better soon.

Matt
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are allergic to bloodworms Lunar, and it sounds like you're one of them. You shouldn't touch them -- use gloves when handling. Google "bloodworm allergy" for more information. It might be safer for you to give up bloodworms. There's other good food for your fish.

~Haname
LunarFlame
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I knew that some people had allergies to them, I just didn't know that it could get that severe. It was really quite scarey. I had had the itching before, but man, getting it into an open wound is horrible!

I have lots of gloves, so for now on, I'm being super careful, wearing those every time, and then after this box of worms is gone, never buying more. lol
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the benadryl is helping and you're feeling better. Yes, bloodworm allergy can be very severe. Read this.
Thanks for posting your warning, maybe someone else will be spared. I would highly recommend that if anyone ever has ANY itching or rash symptoms from handling bloodworms, then the bloodworms should be eliminated from the food repertoire. The weird thing about allergies is that they can get worse over time and can even be life threatening. So I hope you're feeling better now!

~Haname
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way if the benadryl doesn't help right away, please consult a doctor!

~Haname
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! I'm really sorry you had this happen... thank you for sharing. You might save someone from the same pain you're going through.

If there was one food I could have removed off all shelves in all fish stores, it would be the junk food rubbish commonly called bloodworm... also known as midge fly maggots...

Hope you feel better soon!
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about freeze dried bloodworms? from what I know, freeze drying should preventsomething like that, but I'm not an expert. would it happen with freeze dried bloodworms? they're the only form I feed bloodworms in.

LunarFlame
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

DF Bobo wrote:
what about freeze dried bloodworms? from what I know, freeze drying should preventsomething like that, but I'm not an expert. would it happen with freeze dried bloodworms? they're the only form I feed bloodworms in.

I never had reactions to freeze dried, but I do know other people who have had reactions to them in all forms, including freezedried.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I hate to hear that someone else has fallen victim to the dreaded bloodworm. I know that my friend had a severe reaction to them and had to also take benedryl and I know that I touched them before and I got a nasty rash but since I only got a little on me I was fine I just itched for a while. Both me and my friend were using freeze dried bloodworms so I don't think it makes much of a difference.

I hope you feel better and get better soon. Try and have a nice night.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: