Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
best filtration
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Elliott
Members

PostPosted: 2006.09.22(Fri)20:39    Post subject: best filtration Reply with quote

hi,

What would be the best filtration system for a large 750-800L reef tank (possibly large inhabitants-eg. moray eel size)? This is just in case I decide to switch to saltwater, I'm only just setting up my new planted tank so it may be a few years before I switch over. Maybe sooner if my planted tank doesn't work. Aslo are there different size skimmers? what size would I need?

thanks
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.09.22(Fri)23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elliot.

Fortunately for you, the delayed set up of your first S.W. tank allows for plenty of research ahead of time. This will save you $ and the heartache of unnecessarily losing livestock. Find a good book or two on the subject and check out the relevant articles and stickies here at AofA.

I am providing a link to an article I wrote about filtration; not to recommend this system for the size of tank you are describing but rather for the discussion in part 1 relating to nutrient export vs conversion.

To answer your question: For large meat eaters like Moray Eels you would have to design a filtration system that relies heavily on nutrient export. I think most hobbyists would agree that Protein Skimmers are the most effective pieces of equipment for this task. They come in all sizes and some brands are better than others (a search will show many threads rating different skimmers).
Other forms of mechanical filtration include Power Filters (cannisters, H.O.B.'s etc...) Wet/Dry Filters etc... These all perform the task of nutrient export.

On the nutrient conversion side, the most popular method at the moment is the use of Live Rock (LR). Other variations include the use of Bio balls, Deep Sand Beds (DSB's) and Under Gravel Filters (UGF's). Each of these methods can be successful but require a complete understanding of their functions and limitations.
Another form of conversion is the growing of Macro Algae in refugiums, and an off shoot of this called an Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS).
The last form of filtration is chemical in nature and relies on products that bind compounds to them like Activated Carbon. Other trade names for similar products are Phosgaurd, Phosban, Purigen etc...

That's probably more than you wanted to know but it gives a beginning overview of all the areas of research that you can explore beforehand (and that's just filtration!).

Hope something helps,
Good luck!

Here's the link http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_small_aquarium_filter.php

Last edited by dale on 2006.09.25(Mon)22:24; edited 1 time in total
Elliott
Members

PostPosted: 2006.09.25(Mon)5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou that helps a lot, I look forward to getting in to it but first I must master the freshwater planted tank!Smile

elliott
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.10.03(Tue)7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

large, weekly water changes. with the right equipment, you can easily match specific gravity and temperature to that of the display tank.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.03(Tue)9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey matt, what happened to your pics? I included your DIY rock thread in a stickie but now no pics.
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.10.03(Tue)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dale,

I suspect that they are over their bandwidth. Those were done on an old photo hosting site and sadly, I don't remember what one, so I haven't been to look at them in a while... Embarassed
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: