Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My favorite fish CUT OPEN by plant roots!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.28(Mon)15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

deborah_claro, so how is your pleco doing these days? Any improvement? Are you breathing easier for him?
Cath
lindak
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.08.28(Mon)18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, update, please!!! Confused
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.28(Mon)20:08    Post subject: Big improvement over last week! Reply with quote

There's been a big improvement! I didn't want to post about it too soon, just in case I was wrong, but these are the signs that make me think he's healing up really well.
1. The white area that I was worried about in the last post didn't get fungus, and is disappearing as the new armour covering grows in.
2. The gash on his head is now just a thin white line (seen in the photo, midway between the eye and the leading dorsal ray) with no sign of infection.
3. And, most exciting of all, his dorsal fin is growing back!

It's hard to get good photos of retiring plecos in a tank with lots of dens and safe areas,
but I did manage to get this shot today:

You can clearly see that the dorsal fin is growing back!
There's a nice little sail about 2mm high, and this is very impressive considering that it had been worn down to the backbone when I first untangled him.

I used Melafix for 5 days in a row, and then skipped a few days and used it again for a total of 7 times. Other than that, I've been doing water changes and cleaning the sand. I've trimmed the plants back somewhat, and my plan is to get all the long extraneous roots out of there, removing some with each water change.
Things seem to be going very well ...

Deborah Very Happy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.28(Mon)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! The fact that there is no infection is a tribute to your good care of him.
Cathy
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.29(Tue)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Shocked . I hope Mac recovers asap! When I saw the first photo, I thought he wasnt going to make it, amazing.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.08.29(Tue)22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like TJ, I thought he was a goner for sure when I saw that first against-the-glass picture. I am amazed by Mac!

Also, I'm amazed by the love and commitment you've shown, Deborah. There are too few people who can show that kind of love for anyone.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.29(Tue)23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! That is one tough pleco!
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.30(Wed)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Harcoff wrote:
Quote:
Yay! That is one tough pleco!
Yes, he is! I had heard about tough plecos, but never thought I'd see this kind of recovery so soon. That's one reason I'm keeping this on-line record - so that if anyone else has to go through it, they can look here for encouragement.
TJ wrote:
Quote:
When I saw the first photo, I thought he wasnt going to make it, amazing.
Me too! I did not see how he could possibly make it, and if I hadn't had someone with me, I might have thought about euthanasia. As it was, I just couldn't imagine putting down a fish that was showing that much energy, even if he looked lousy.

I haven't been able to see if the open chest wound has been healing as well as the rest of him. One thing he's doing that's interesting is that he's digging out his den all the way down to the piece of slate that his wood is screwed to. He does this every day, and I think it's because he likes the way the slate feels all smooth and cold.

Oh, yes. I almost forgot. Mac lives in a catfish only tank, so I had an idea that it would help with his recovery if there was a lively, topwater fish in there, too, to add interest and provide a signal that all was okay underwater.
So, on August 24 I took a Haskins Line
Endler's livebearer out of another tank and popped him in:

That gray circle is a suction cup from the heater, which gives you an idea of how tiny he is!

Deborah Very Happy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.30(Wed)23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a survivor!! I'm soo glad he's doing better please keep us updated Smile
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.31(Thu)7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one tough fish, you should sign him up for Survivor. Seriously though, that is quite impressive, when I first started to read the thread I figured it'd be bad news by the end, glad to hear he's still alive and kicking.
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: