Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Overskimming
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.25(Tue)7:41    Post subject: Overskimming Reply with quote

Been doing some reading on protein skimming and a couple of questions have come up:

1) Has anyone ever experienced/seen a conclusive case of overskimming? I realize that a skimmer can also pull trace elements out of the water along with proteinaceous waste (asked about this previously), but is does this happen in significant enough amounts?

2) Assuming overskimming is real, what sort of oversize on the skimmer are we talking about to overskim? 50gal rated skimmer on a 10gal? 100gal rated skimmer on a 10gal? Just a rough estimate would do, I realize that it is very dependent on stocking levels etc.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.28(Fri)0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a prism skimmer(which I do not advise anybody to ever purchas) which acording to the box is rated for 400L on a 24L tank. so your going to have to make sure its rating is acurate and it is a decent skimmer.

your in melbourne so I highly recomend you join www.masa.asn.au's forum reefing the australian way and maybe come along to a MASOV(marine aquarium society of victoria) meeting, the next one is on the 13ths of august in rosebud(long drive the the hosts tank is 18ft long Razz)

heres a link to a topic on overskimming on rtaw
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=157284&highlight=overskimming

hope this helps you with your fish keeping,

Andrew
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.28(Fri)1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have joined and been reading that forum for months. Laughing

Couldn't find any conclusive cases of a skimmer actually pulling out elements out of the water column so I thought I'd check to see whether it happened to anyone on here.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.28(Fri)11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my recirculating G3 which is rated for a 250 gallon tank (before the recirculating mod is done) on my 58 and the sps corals grew better than ever. I am sure it is possible to overskim but not something we can easily do. I wouldn;t worry about it. Water changes replace trace elements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.28(Fri)15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will more likely find many cases of UNDER-skimming! Yes, many of these gizmos are actually doing a terrible job, innefficient and sorry excuses of products which fail to produce daily skimmate... their owners THINK they are skimming but are not really at all. Choose your skimmer carefully, there are good ones available, the search tool will help you.
bukitimah
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.03(Thu)6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to use Weipro WH-4000 pump & SA-2012 hang-on protein
skimmer for a 2 ft tank, any advise?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: