Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Identity crisis
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.29(Sat)21:15    Post subject: Identity crisis Reply with quote

I got my live rock! YAY! I ended up with 28lbs of Alor live rock. My supplier said it's equivalent to about double that weight of other types of live rock because its extremely porous. Now that its arranged in my tank, I think I need a few more small pieces for aestetic reasons. But anyway. I found a curious thing living on it. I thought it was a type of aiptasia, but it didn't match any pics I could find online. It's way too small for me to get a pic to show, but its white, has a "stem" and five short, thin fingers. There are two growing next to each other. The aiptasia descriptions/pics I found showed longer and more "fingers" then what I have and most of them were not pure white. They are both very small, looks almost like the white stuff you blow off dandelions without the seed at the bottom and only five "fingers." Any ideas? Is it friend or foe?
djchristone
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.30(Sun)7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be a hydroid or feather duster but I have no idea without a pic. either way, kill it. just to be on the safe side Smile if it is apastia, don't squash it or anything. joe's juice works fine Smile some claim lemon juice works but I doubt it. boiling hot water seems to only disintegrate it and spread apastia around the tank...etc etc. or you could add a peppermint shrimp, wild caught of course, but sounds like you're starting your cycle so that's a no no Smile a pic would greatly help Smile
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some online picture hunting and I am pretty positive it is a bispira brunnea (I'm sure I butchered that spelling!) feather duster. Those are good right so I shouldn't kill it? Is there any kind of "test" to figure out if that is what it is. I tried getting a pic, but it's not in a location I can get to focus, they're pretty tiny.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing what it is, there is no reason to kill it Rolling Eyes .

Your liverock will develop many different lifeforms, often times coming and going in waves. This provided my wife and I lots of entertainment as we waited for our tank to mature.
Look at some pic's of green star polyps - do the fingers look like that?
or, does it have the appearance of a tiny little branching tree (no leaves of course). If so this is a harmless filter feeder (I think it may be a fungus). Feather dusters usually have a leathery "tube" that they extend from though some forms lodge themselves in the rock and only show their fronds (feeding apparatus).

I'll try to take a pic of some in my tank
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the treelike structure I think is a fungus (harmless) Anyone got an ID?

Here's a filter feeding worm (harmless)

Here are some developing green star polyps (harmless)

Here's a nasty looking anemone (can spread and kill tank mates)

And some friendlier looking anemones (can spread quickly)

Hope this helps.
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.01(Tue)13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale you are a genius! They look exactly like your developing green star polyps except they are pure white. I saw pictures of green star polyps when researching stuff that comes with LR, but didn't give them much thought as the pictures were all of "adults" and the developing ones look pretty different. I found a bunch more of them last night on a piece of rock kinda hiding in the back. They gave me a fright this morning, they looked dead when I first turned the light on, but after a half hour they opened back up. Which brings me to my next reef suprise, I saw my first 'pod! Don't know if it was an amphipod, copopod, or isopod, but it scurried for cover when I turned the light on. My husband didn't get it, but I was excited Smile
One more question, if I want my star polyps to grow, I should probably feed them shouldn't I? My LR supplier said I should use pure amonia to keep the cycle process going, but nothing I found claimed to be 100% pure amonia, so I didn't do it. I've been tossing in single shrimp pellets each night to add some natural waste matter, they break up when they float into the flow of the power heads, is this killing two birds one stone, will it add waste and feed the polyps? I read green star polyps are really hardy and easy to keep, but what would they perfer as a food source?
Thursday I'm going to get a little more LR to round out the visual display. The Alor rock is absolutly gorgeous, there is a rainbow of colors in my tank and I don't even have any stock, lol. I thought setting up a reef tank was gong to be an extreme test to my patience (usually don't have much but was utterly determined I was going to do this RIGHT) but I'm just totally fascinated by just the LR it's no problem at all.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.01(Tue)19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi B.G., Glad that helped.

If the LR supplier has given you a whole program for using ammonia (amounts, frequency, duration) and if you can find it then go ahead but you don't need to use it. Adding some shrimp pellets will do the same trick but with a little more lag time as the pellet has to break down from shrimp to ammonia. Everyone has their own "recipe" and I wouldn't want to discourage one course of action if it is well laid out.

The shrimp will not feed the GSP effectively. They are photosynthetic. Some people think solely so but there is some debate as to wether they feed on small plankton and/or micro fauna. I dose my tank with live phytoplankton and rotifers anyways so I've got all bases covered. They apparently do best in moderately high light; not too low but not too intense either and they like moderate flow. They can grow quite fast and will harm bordering corals and for that reason some reefers dislike them. GSP's will close up at night and will sometimes clamp up for days if they are disturbed in a way they don't like.

I am encouraging them to take over!

FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.01(Tue)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, great work Dale, nice pics...
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.01(Tue)21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again Dale!
I love your picture. Everytime you expirienced reefers post pics I am so inspired Smile Reef keeping is like living art.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: