Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
cycling and temperature questions
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.22(Sat)21:43    Post subject: cycling and temperature questions Reply with quote

Is LR picky about temperature? My AC isn't working right now and my FW tanks are staying at around 84 degrees F. I slightly lowered the water levels so the the power filters add more aeration and my fish aren't showing any signs of stress, I'm actually thinking about keeping my large tank at the higher temp as those fish are being more active and happy then they were before this happened, but anyway, different topic. I will not be adding any fish/inverts to my SW tank any time soon, but what about LR? Will it be alright at an elevated temperature if my AC isn't fixed when I'm ready for it?
And as for cycling, I think I'm confused, if a protein skimmer removes waste before it has a chance to break down, then how is the cycle started? I know LR jump starts the cycle, but if I can't get it right away should I add an amonia source (was thinking of tossing in shrimp pellets) to start the cycle? Should the protein skimmer be turned on during the cycle process or just the mechanical filter?
Thanks again for all of your guys' wisdom. A lot of my questions don't seem to be answered directly from my book/web reading. You guys really are an invaluable tool.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.22(Sat)22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the temp. 84 F will be fine.

As for cycling, while the skimmer will remove some waste, it's not going to remove the dying stuff in the live rock. Just stuff floating around the water. So don't worry, you shouldn't have to add anything to kick start or keep the cycle going.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.22(Sat)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should eaily be able to bring down all your tanks temperatures by simply adding a fan to the hood. just create some air movement over the surface of the water which will greatly increase the amount of evaporation and thus the amount of heat lost. however by doing this on a saltwater you'll have to be more vigilant when it comes to topping up the tank.

I would leave the skimmer of for the momement and turn it on once the cycle has finished. I don't like saying things like live rock kick starts the cycle. instead live rock will add some nessesary bacteria to your tank. the amount of die off with vary greatly if you get cured or uncured live rock. cured live rock is rock that has been sitting in generaly a dark tank for several weeks. the tank has highly efficient protien skimmers and has water changes done to it to keep water conditions OK. during this time quite a bit of the stuff living on the rock will die (it would have died in your tank if you had just added it straight to the tank without curing it) but most algaes like coraline and some corals will probably survive. by adding cured live rock you get minimal die off thats why you can add cured rock to an already setup system but not uncured.

andrew
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.23(Sun)12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm still confused. The LR I'm planning on getting is already cured. So this is going to add the beneficial bacteria to my tank. Is this the same idea as seeding a FW tank? If the LR is going to come with a free dose of bacteria, will I still see a cycle when I'm testing the water? Should I add shrimp pellets to break down into amonia to facilitate the growth/sustaining of the bacteria? I was not planning on adding any fish/inverts (haven't starting thinking/researching the order to add them) until at least a month after I added the LR longer if testing doesn't prove the water ready, this is a good time estimate correct?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.23(Sun)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barby Girl wrote:
I think I'm still confused. The LR I'm planning on getting is already cured. So this is going to add the beneficial bacteria to my tank. Is this the same idea as seeding a FW tank?

Basically the principle is the same, but not the same bacteria.

Barby Girl wrote:
If the LR is going to come with a free dose of bacteria, will I still see a cycle when I'm testing the water?

In fact, it is possible to add enough cured live rock/bacteria so the cycle is virtually eliminated. It depends on how much live rock and the volume of the system. This assumes it is fully cured with zero die off and you do not over stock the tank. In fact, you do not need live rock to acheive this, I have seeded FO systems with aged gravel placed in a nylon panty hose and inserted directly on top of trickle media in the old-school trickle tower. If there is an airstone under the tower the bacteria will explode in number and pretty much bypass the entire cycling process. However, that said, you still need to monitor the water and avoid over populating the system in the first month... and be advised, there is no substitute for time and patience... the system will likely go thru algae blooms and other typical "new tank syndromes" until it acheives a natural balance of sorts... same goes for a reef and live rock.

Barby Girl wrote:
Should I add shrimp pellets to break down into amonia to facilitate the growth/sustaining of the bacteria? I was not planning on adding any fish/inverts (haven't starting thinking/researching the order to add them) until at least a month after I added the LR longer if testing doesn't prove the water ready, this is a good time estimate correct?
You will require SOME SOURCE of ammonia to sustain the bacteria.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: