Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Frogspawn Suddenly Sick
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lisalisa
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)14:03    Post subject: Frogspawn Suddenly Sick Reply with quote

This beautiful frogspawn was fine until yesterday. The tank is 90 gal, the lighting is a 10,000k and 6,700k flourescent and 2 actinics with an LED strip. 2 Rio Seio Ultra Flo, 2 Maxi Jets (1200 & 900) with a sump, refugium and protein skimmer. Temp 77-79, sg is 1.024 using refractometer. All levels were good. Yesterday I used silicone gel to mount a power head. Did I just kill my frogspawn?? Thanks, Lisa

sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions...did you let the silicone dry at least 24 hours and what kind of silicone was it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
lisalisa
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it didn't set up dry for 24 hours. It was kitchen and bath clear silicone which the guy at the LFS said was what they used and should be fine.

And yes, I'm a complete idiot. Anyway, the rest of the corals (tree branch leather, candy cane, pineapple, purple open brain, etc.,) are fine. Xenia is fine, fish are fine. I replaced the poly pad in the sump to try to get as much toxin out, I removed the power heads and bought four of the magnetic brackets I didn't know about until today.

Any chance the frogspawn will recover or is it just going to get worse?
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitchen and bath silicone has an antifungal additive that can and most likely will damage everything in the tank. Water changes...and quickly as things will only get worse. If you haven't already taken the silicone out, do so immediately. I would seriously consider a different LFS. You can use GE silicone I which is aquarium safe, but kitchen and bath is a sure way to dead fish and inverts.

Last edited by sirreal63 on 2006.07.18(Tue)16:41; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, we all learn from experience/errors... hope this recovers, Jack is giving you good advice as always!
lisalisa
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I really appreciate it. I just did a 20% water change. My daughter pointed out that where the frogspawn is sick where a krill was placed on it yesterday. Why would a piece of krill make the frogspawn sick? Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you all so much!

Lisa
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm make sure its getting good flow good flow seems to be really important to recovering corals but don't put it in the direct output don't want to blast it away.

jack is definatly giving you good advice. imo tell the lfs guy about teh antifungals in bathroom silicone and tell him your coral isn't looking to go probably because of it. I was told by my lfs that hair algae was decorative it got out of control and I lost quite a few fish in one night. I told him about it next time I came in his live rock was spotless not a bit of hair algae!

andrew
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: