Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Building a 10G. frag tank for S.W.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)23:17    Post subject: Building a 10G. frag tank for S.W. Reply with quote

Here's my latest project, a small frag tank for S.W.

This tank is being specifically built to grow out coral fragments and no fish or inverts will be introduced. In particular, I want to introduce high doses of nutrients into the water column for non photosynthetic filter feeders. With its basic design however, it could be used for many different applications (nano display, Q tank with D.S.B. or macro algae refugium etc...

I will touch on the construction phases here and if someone wants a more in depth description of how I did things they can use the link at the bottom of this post. I used the same techniques in that project.

I am using a standard 10G. glass tank, an Aquaclear powerfilter, a Hydor powerhead with rotating outlet, some suspended ceiling light diffuser (eggcrate), a heater, silicone and Plexiglas.

Here's the tank. I want to convert it into a 6G. display with a 4G. sump.

I positioned the A.C. unit on the tank to see where the divider should be. I want the flow from the return spillway to create turbulence across the whole sump so I won't need an additional powerhead.

Using a square I mark both edges so the divider will not be cockeyed.

Using my dremel type tool I carve slots in the plastic rim so my plexi will sit flush with the glass below. These slots will also add strength to the divider

Here's the plexi divider in the slots. Note that I have left the protective backing on for now (to prevent scratches).

I also have to notch the A.C. unit so that it will straddle the divider. This doesn't compromise the performance of the filter at all.

And this is how the filter sits on the tank. The intake draws water from the display area and returns it to the sump.

Using the dremel again, I cut straining teeth into the divider so that the water from the sump can return to the display.

And here's how it looks.

I'll continue in the next post

Link to in depth construction details
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=29175
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am preparing to silicone the divider in (I've taken the backing off now). Silicone does not bond well to plexi so I am running two beads on either side. These will sandwich the plexi in place (it's not a load bearing bond anyways).

And here's the silicone. Using masking tape (and removing it when the bead is smoothed out) creates a nice clean line.

While I'm at it I will create two beads of silicone on the sides of the display portion. These beads will support my eggcrate shelves. If I want to convert this to a little nano display later on I can just remove the beads with a razor blade.

Here's a shot showing the shelves resting on the silicone beads.

Here's a completed view of the tank going out for sea trials Wink

Note the heater in the sump. Tomorrow I will add some live substrate from my big tank. In the display I have a little powerhead with a rotating head pointing up towards my frag shelves. The flow is good! Because it is a frag tank for now, I will keep the display bare bottom (to help keep it clean via P.W.C.'s and vaccuming). I may put a light over the sump and try growing macro algae as well, but for now, my main concern is hopefully nursing some filter feeders back to health.

I'll post the completed set up tommorrow.

Link to a "how to" silicone guide http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=35335
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You always have some good ideas up your sleeve don't ya. Very Happy
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or a lot of spare parts Very Happy

Here's the completed project for now. I am dosing with Vividreef live phytoplankton, Vividreef live rotifers and Seachem reef plus (vitamins and amino acids).

Here's my chili coral. Lately, it hasn't exhibited the polyp extension that it once had and some necrotic spots have developed. I plan to zip tie it upsidedown on the underside of the eggcrate to help it inflate more easily.

Here's the Sun coral. Hope it gets better as it is quite beautiful when fully open. The white areas are where it has died off.

AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow. Would you be so kind as to post some pics of the sun coral when it is opened??? I love sun coral, but I don't plan on trying it in my upcoming SW.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.13(Thu)19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool what are you using for lighting on that. I want to do the same thing with my sump tank.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.14(Fri)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now there isn't a light. The corals selected are not photosynthetic and lighting just encourages nuisance algae growth on them. If I want light I might put a small P.C. on the display.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, Dale has the Dremel tool out again... great post and pics, thank you for sharing.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ahhh, Dale has the Dremel tool out again...

Haha... I was just going to say that! Laughing

I love reading your "How-To" threads, Dale. The pictures and explainations, as always, are great.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: