Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
OK, I've decided that it's time.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.09(Sun)18:47    Post subject: OK, I've decided that it's time. Reply with quote

I've thought and talked about it for a long time, and now that I have my freshwater tank fully established and doing very well, I'm going to try my hand at a salt water tank.

Because this is my first time doing so, I don't know much, but I've been reading through the links and stuff on here. I only want to do something small. I have an empty 10 gallon at home that I would like to use.

Would 10 gallons be alright for a mostly reef tank? I would like to have maybe 1 or 2 small fish or something. I really like clown fish.

What are your thoughts on setting up a 10 gallon?
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I want to say that reading a few good books such as The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta and The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner will help you out greatly in setting up a successful marine aquarium.

A 10 gallon tank is somewhat small to start with as your first saltwater tank in my opinion. Since this is your first saltwater tank I would recommend keeping it a invert only tank for the first few months so you can get the hang of keeping a basic saltwater tank. I would personally only add a single small fish to a 10 gallon tank. You could definitely do a single Percula or Ocellaris Clownfish, but I would leave it at that. I wouldn't add any coral to the tank either for a little awhile. I don't know what you would like to do as far as filtration goes but I would recommend a very simple setup. Get around 10lbs of live rock, and a couple small powerheads for flow. You could add a HOB filter if you wanted to run carbon or other chemical media.

Do plenty of research, and take everything slowly. If you have anymore questions just ask.

2.5 gallon saltwater tank
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't add any fish at all... you won't miss them.

Live rock, decent lighting, a regular hang on the back filter with carbon and a few easy corals makes a lovely tank to get the hang of salt water without the heart break of a dead fish...

What about a "special" shrimp or crab, say the Neopetrolisthes ohshimai?

Something to consider...
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I upgraded it to 20 gallons instead? I could afford to pick one up if it would make things easier with more room, etc.. to work with.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recommendation I usually see is to not do a s/w tank under 30 gallons. Not that they aren't possible smaller, but that you're less likely to have problems with a greater water volume.

You could then use the 10 gallon as a quarantine/emergency tank.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would modify the rule somewhat to "don't add fish to a salt water tank under 30g"

If you used the 10g as a sump to the 20g, then I would probably stick to a pair of clownfish.

I can't stress this too much though... SW is just a lot more interesting than fresh water... so much more life crammed into a small container. You don't miss fish as long as you have movement from corals (xenia, etc. ) and invertbrates. I picked up an Orange lipped conch and the looks that he gets is priceless...
Hexum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.11(Tue)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found a 29 gallon that is in my price range. Would that be sufficient enough since it's about as close as you can get to a 30 gallon?
kralster
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.11(Tue)18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

29 is close enough to a 30 in my opinion. Just do plenty of reading from various articles and you should get a pretty good idea on the does and don'ts of saltwater. Aquaclear filter or a marineland filter are your best bet. And since you will have a smaller setup you might consider using a UV sterilizer, this will help keep the water clearer in my opinion. Less chance of having algae and green water. Good Luck!
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.12(Wed)8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, a 29g is a much better start if you are adding a fish or two. Keep the bioload really light and don't even try adding fish for a few months. The live rock takes ages to cycle and then the tank has to mature.

Hunt for fish from a local hobbyist over a fish store if you don't know of a totally reliable fish store. Cyanide fish can takea long time to finally die!

Lots of luck!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: