Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new 10 gallon tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
championb21
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)21:44    Post subject: new 10 gallon tank Reply with quote

okay I have an extra 10 gallon tank and I'm getting into saltwater can I just put some lovely coral in there for a begginer I don't want to worry about fish dieing also what would I need I was going to buy a 30 gallon but I want to see ow it works out is it going t be same price to start 300-400 dollars or way cheaper for just some coral and liverock in there.also what is it called I am trying to do?
djchristone
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.11(Tue)1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you're trying to do is called making a reef.

and lol...I guess 300-400 is OK for that size a tank including livestock. so far I've spent over 550 for my nano cube (including nano price so yeah). I would assume around 5-7 dollars a lb for live rock and if you get like bagged sand...that's 30...corals go for 30-70 on average...

the biggest problem you'll have is lighting. most corals need A LOT of light so you'll need to invest in some good lighting system like a aquapod or coralife something...depending on what corals you get, you'll need more or less lighting but generally, more lighting never hurts Smile

and remember, some corals can outgrow your tank Smile and others need to be hand fed and do not rely on photosynthesis Wink

it's a bit more complicated than just throwing ls, lr, and coral all together Wink research is still involved Smile
championb21
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.11(Tue)11:59    Post subject: more help Reply with quote

1. how much would it cost?

2. would it be cheaper then starting up a 30 gallon fowlr?

3.what items would I need in tank?

4.Should I just use my 30 gallon to start saltwater and forget about the 10 gallon beause I leanred now its going to be harder to maintain a littler tank and now instead of a reef tank I'm just going to have fowlr I'm going to have 2 clowns. I read anemones are for experts and tht not always clown need them.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.11(Tue)14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use your 30. A 10 Gallon would be a nightmare for your first SW tank. And FOWLR is generally considered easier (ie. a little cheaper) than a reef tank. Browse around, eye up some of the other 30 gal setups, and see what you like! I haven't started one yet, but I plan to set up a 33 gal. FOWLR tank in a year or two (saving $; looking for more tank room). It seems like the best way to go for your first SW tank.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: