Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mixing SPS and softies?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.09(Sun)20:59    Post subject: Mixing SPS and softies? Reply with quote

I know it's not recommend to mix SPS and soft corals. But I was wondering if there are exceptions to the rule (I.e. certain species of softies that won't harm SPS quite so much?).
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

IMO, it can be done, esp. if you are using Metal halides. What's your lighting set up?

What type of SPS do you have in the tank and what do you mean by "softies?"
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of do it, just make sure you run carbon and change it weekly. Avoid letting the softies get too close to the sps and you will be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattTVI, by "softies" I simply mean soft corals. I've heard the term used in RL discussions of reef tanks I've had with people, so I guess I assumed it was common terminology.

And I don't have any corals right now. I have lighting for SPS (150w MH + 2x65w PC) if I want them. That's why I'm wondering about mixing 'n matching.

sirreal63, any suggestions on the best way to run carbon? I mean, I know I could add another filter, but betweeen 3 powerheads and the simmer, I don't want to put any more junk in the tank. Would putting some in the return feed from the skimmer be adequate?
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.10(Mon)17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete...I dislike the term "best" as there are many ways to do it. I prefer a canister filter for holding carbon. It is easy to change out and worke very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.07.11(Tue)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Pete said

MattTVI, by "softies" I simply mean soft corals. I've heard the term used in RL discussions of reef tanks I've had with people, so I guess I assumed it was common terminology.

And I don't have any corals right now. I have lighting for SPS (150w MH + 2x65w PC) if I want them. That's why I'm wondering about mixing 'n matching.

It is a common term, and it's incredibly broad with some softies being hostile to sps species. what I meant by asking about "softies" is what specific species do you intend to keep... discosomas and zoos will be fine w/ most SPS types. For SPS both these monti types, digitata and capricornis (sp?) come in lovely colors and shapes and would do well under that lighting (what height is the tank?). the "softies" should not be placed directly under the MH.

GSP is another "softie" that would be good for a mixed reef tank.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: