Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A question about chillers
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Deedoe
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.06(Thu)12:04    Post subject: A question about chillers Reply with quote

Hello! I am planning on having a SW tank one day and I am doing a lot of reading and research about it now to see if I can actually pull it off. I have heard some talk about chillers and I am wondering where they come in. At the moment my freshwater tank stays at 76 degrees in the hottest weather our city has had in 50 years! If I were to change this tank to SW (30 gal) would I need a chiller? The reason I ask this is beacause I want to know as much as possible BEFORE I go SW, because I would rather just stay FW if I don't think I can be successful with SW. I still have a lot of learning to do. You have all been great though. I have read a lot of forums and then cross referenced stuff that I was confused about. Thanks !!!
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.06(Thu)12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may or may not need a chiller in Kamloops. It depends on the setup...metal halides produce a lot of heat and this is where you need for a chiller comes in. Simple flourescents on a FW tank don't generate much heat...but high powered lights do and it heats the water. If you are doing a simple fish only tank you probably won't need one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Deedoe
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.06(Thu)16:41    Post subject: Chillers Reply with quote

Hey sirreal63. Thanks for the info. I am going to try and track someone down who lives in my city who has a SW tank and see what they do as well. Our summer really does fluctuate in temp. I am going to keep an eye on my FW tank over the next few weeks/month and see what the temp. does. Thanks for your help! I am thinking that a chiller might be a good thing to have to keep everything perfect for the fishies! We'll see!
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.06(Thu)23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi deedoe. Welcome to the forum!

If you are looking for a canuck perspective then I might suggest canreef.com
(not that we wouldn't want you to stick around here too Wink ).

Good luck!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: