Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting question
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.05(Wed)12:34    Post subject: Lighting question Reply with quote

I have read up on the various kinds of lights for the marine reef tank I am now convinced I have to have Smile I went browsing at one of the chain pet stores, pricing stuff up. Came up with some questions on lights. I know I need high wattage, blue spectrum light. Best I could find at the store was 30 watt "marine glow." bulbs. From my reading I don't think this is good enough. I thought what I need was closer to 150 watt and it should say 10,000k... Is that correct for a 30 gallon tank? Any idea on a good internet supplier or should I find a marine specialty shop? I know there is one in the outer area of where I live, but not sure how good he is, so I want to get other options before driving out there. Also, would these high powered lights work in a normal hood? Do they sell all in one units with the hood and the reef required lights?
Thanks!
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.05(Wed)13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what type of corals you want to keep, you'll probably want to get what you suggested about 150 watts or so.

For that, you'd probably need to look at getting something like a VHO setup. I don't know where you'd go to get a fully assembled hood, as most units I see for sale are retrofit kits (I.e. they have the electronics, but you have to build or buy the hood yourself and install everything).
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.05(Wed)13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance, but the retro fit kits your talking about would just replace the lighting fixture in one of the all in one hood light sets that the regular pet shops sell with the low energy bulbs? I want to make sure I'm picturing this right, will it just rest on top of the splash gaurd?
Thank you for the quick reply
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.05(Wed)14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep a reef aquarium, you are right. You will need a better lighting system. The best lighting systems for reef aquariums are VHO,
T-5, and Metal Halide lights.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.07.05(Wed)14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barby Girl wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but the retro fit kits your talking about would just replace the lighting fixture in one of the all in one hood light sets that the regular pet shops sell with the low energy bulbs? I want to make sure I'm picturing this right, will it just rest on top of the splash gaurd?
Thank you for the quick reply

Maybe, but I wouldn't entirely count on it. One area of concern is the amount of heat higher output lights (I.e. VHO) put out. If the stock lighting hood has cheap plastic reflectors, then those would probably need to be replaced with metal. I speak from experience here. I retrofitted a 65 watt PC bulb into my existing hood and the heat caused the plastic reflector to curl. You also would probably need to fit in a fan to promote cooling.

I think this is why a lot of people choose to build their own hoods when using retrofit kits.

Mind you, it is possible to buy ready made hoods. It's just that they are harder to come by.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: